The BNF for Children (BNFC) 2018-2019 provides essential practical information to all healthcare professionals involved in the prescribing, dispensing, monitoring and administration of medicines to children. It addresses a significant knowledge gap in many areas of paediatric practice by providing practical information on the use of medicines in children of all ages from birth to adolescence.
Recommendations in the BNFC have been constructed on the basis of authoritative sources, emerging evidence and best practice guidelines. The content has been carefully validated by a network of paediatric experts and the process is overseen by a paediatric formulary committee.
The BNF for Children 2018-2019 has been revised and revalidated to reflect changes in product availability, emerging safety concerns and shifts in clinical practice.
• Guidance on the drug management of common childhood condition
• Practical advice on topics such as prescription writing and reporting adverse drug reactions
• Hands-on information on prescribing, monitoring, dispensing and administering medicines for childhood disorders
• Comprehensive dosing guidance for children from birth up to 18 years old
• Details of products on the market as well as reference to many essential products that are not licensed
• Indication of the licensing status of drugs.