This text comprehensively covers the nutritional and medical management and prevention of kidney stones. Sections address types of stones, nutritional risks, medical and pharmaceutical managements, prevention of recurrence, and special consideration of stone risks among specific diseases such as obesity with gastric bypass, chronic kidney disease, and gastric intestinal disorders. Diagnosis of kidney stones, urinalysis and biochemical indices, dietary assessment, and medical nutrition therapy for specific types of kidney stones are also included. In addition, case studies are provided in the appendix. Cutting edge research is also highlighted in regards to pharmaceutical treatments and epidemiological findings in nutrition and kidney stones.
Nutrition in Medical Management of Kidney Stones will be a practical resource for health professionals in the fields of nutrition, nephrology, urology, and general medicine, as well as medical students, resident physicians, and allied health clinicians whose research, practice, and education includes nutrition and kidney stones.
• Each chapter opens with 5 to 8 bullet points that provide key learning objectives for the chapter
• Chapters close with a synopsis that summarizes the content within the chapter
• Appendices include clinical references and practical tools for the clinician
• Case studies are presented at the conclusion of the stone classification chapters
• Haewook HanHarvard Vanguard Medical AssociatesDepartment of NephrologyBoston, MA USA
• Walter P. MutterNewton-Wellesley HospitalDepartment of NephrologyNewton, MA USA
• Samer NasserHarvard Vanguard Medical AssociatesDepartment of NephrologyBoston, MA USA