• Section One: Concepts and Method.
1. Fundamental Concepts of Descriptive Psychopathology
2.Eliciting the Symptoms of Mental Illness
• Section Two: Consciousness and Cognition
3.Consciousness and Disturbed Consciousness
4. Attention, Concentration, Orientation and Sleep
5.Disturbance of Memory
• Section Three: Awareness of Reality: Time, Perception and Judgement
6.Disorder of Time
7.Pathology of Perception
8. Delusions and Other Erroneous Ideas
9. Disorder of the Thinking Process
10.Disorder of Speech and Language
• Section Four: Self and Body
12. The Disordered Self
14. Disorder of the Awareness of the Body
15. The Psychopathology of Pain
• Section Five: Emotions and Action
16. Affect and Emotional Disorders
17. Anxiety, Panic, Irritability, Phobia and Obsession
18. Disorders of Volition and Execution
• Section Six: Variations of Human Nature
19. The Expression of Disordered Personality
• Section Seven: Diagnosis
20. Psychopathology and Diagnosis
Since its first edition in 1988, this book has become the leading introductory textbook on clinical psychopathology. Now fully revised and updated, it is an invaluable reference for psychiatrists of all levels as well as clinical psychologists, allied mental health professionals and researchers in this field.
• Comprehensive and accessible overview of clinical psychopathology.
• Defines, clarifies and describes the main symptoms and syndromes of mental illness encountered in clinical practice.
• Illustrates key principles of psychopathology with examples drawn from a wide range of sources.
• Fully updated throughout.
• Includes key point summaries.
• Complementary access to the e-book through ExpertConsult.
• Additional online electronic resources include:
- Patient interview scenarios exploring key themes (videos with transcripts).
- Author podcasts (audio) to expand and clarify core topics.
- Interactive question and answer sections for each chapter, to test your understanding and aid revision of essential areas.
New To This Edition:
• Now in 4 colour.
• New, bigger, more user-friendly format.
• Three new podcasts (consciousness, embodiment, shame and guilt).
Femi Oyebode, MBBS, MD, PhD, FRCPsych, Professor of Psychiatry and Consultant Psychiatrist, University of Birmingham, National Centre for Mental Health, Birmingham, UK.