A Practical Approach to Special Care in Dentistry delivers a comprehensive and robust overview of special care dentistry reflecting the most common compromised clinical conditions dentists will regularly encounter. It discusses more than 50 topics based on real-world clinical cases focusing on two main areas: patients with disabilities and medically compromised patients.
The book uses a problem-based learning approach and helps the reader to apply knowledge in a clinical case context. Each chapter contains a case report establishing the main risk factors relating to the provision of dental treatment. That is followed by a practical and realistic set of adaptations for the reader to follow to minimise the rate and severity of potential complications for their patient. The book also includes:
• A thorough introduction to patients suffering from disabilities, including physical disabilities, like cerebral palsy and epilepsy, and cognitive impairments, like Down’s Syndrome
• Comprehensive explorations of the treatment of medically compromised patients, like those with infectious diseases, endocrine diseases, hepatorenal disease, and cardiovascular disease
• Practical discussions of other special patient situations, like those with allergies, antiresorptive and antiangiogenic drugs, terminal patients, underhoused patients, and pregnant or breastfeeding patients
Perfect for general dentists, undergraduate students of odontology, and graduate students of special care dentistry, A Practical Approach to Special Care in Dentistry is also a must-read resource for dental specialists in special care dentistry, hospital odontology, geriatric odontology, oral surgery, and dental hygienists.
• Pedro Diz Dios is Professor, Consultant, and Head of the Special Needs Unit, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Santiago de Compostela & Galician Health Services (SERGAS), Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
• Navdeep Kumar is Divisional Clinical Director at the Royal National ENT & Eastman Dental Hospitals, Consultant in Special Care Dentistry at University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, and Honorary Senior Lecturer at University College London, UK.