Section I. The Practice of Acute Pain Medicine
Chapter 1. Acute Pain Medicine Services-Structure and Procedures
Chapter 2. Economics of Acute Pain Medicine
Section II. Case-Based Acute Pain Medicine
Chapter 3. Total Shoulder Arthroplasty
Chapter 4. Open Reduction Internal Fixation: Radius Fracture
Chapter 5. Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery
Chapter 6. Total Knee Arthroplasty
Chapter 7. Total Hip Arthroplasty
Chapter 8. Ankle Arthrodesis
Chapter 9. Arthroscopic Knee Surgery
Chapter 10. Whipple Procedure
Chapter 11. Breast Surgery
Chapter 12. Colorectal Surgery
Chapter 13. Thoracic Surgery
Chapter 14. Open Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
Chapter 15. Complex Spine
Chapter 16. Craniotomy
Chapter 17. Polytrauma
Chapter 18. Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
Chapter 19. Sickle Cell Pain Crisis
Chapter 20. Hip Fracture
Chapter 21. Pediatric Inguinal Hernia Repair
Chapter 22. Pediatric Exploratory Laparotomy
Chapter 23. Pediatric Orthopedics
Chapter 24. Pediatric Scoliosis Repair
Chapter 25. Pediatric Tonsillectomy
Section III. Advanced Regional Anesthesia and Analgesia: Military Advanced Regional Anesthesia and Analgesia (MARAA)
Chapter 26. MARAA Initiative History
Chapter 27. Regional Anesthesia Equipment
Chapter 28. Local Anesthetics and Additives
Chapter 29. Physics of Ultrasound and Nerve Stimulation
Chapter 30. Upper Extremity Neuroanatomy
Chapter 31. Cervical Plexus Block
Chapter 32. Interscalene Block
Chapter 33. Supraclavicular Block
Chapter 34. Infraclavicular Block
Chapter 35. Axillary Block
Chapter 36. Peripheral Nerve Blocks of the Arm
Chapter 37. Pectoralis and Serratus Plane Blocks
Chapter 38. Erector Spinae Plane Block
Chapter 39. Lower Extremity Neuroanatomy
Chapter 40. Lumbar Plexus Block
Chapter 41. Femoral Nerve Block
Chapter 42. Individual Nerve Blocks of the Lumbar Plexus
Chapter 43. Sciatic Nerve Block: Posterior and Alternative Approaches
Chapter 44. Sciatic Nerve Block: Anterior Approach
Chapter 45. Sciatic Nerve Block: Lateral Approach
Chapter 46. Sciatic Nerve Block: Popliteal
Chapter 47. Ankle Block
Chapter 48. Paravertebral Nerve Block
Chapter 49. Transversus Abdominis Plane Block
Chapter 50. Quadratus Lumborum Block
Chapter 51. Neuraxial Anesthesia/Analgesia
Chapter 52. Regional Anesthesia Complications
Chapter 53. Continuous Peripheral Nerve Blocks
Chapter 54. Interventional Chronic Pain Treatment
Chapter 55. Surgical Pain Management
Chapter 56. Basic Pediatric Regional Anesthesia
Chapter 57. Air Transport
Chapter 58. Novel Medical Acupuncture
Chapter 59. Acute Pain Nursing
Chapter 60. Acute Pain in the Field
Acute Pain Medicine is the first comprehensive, case-based text of its kind that explores the essential topics of acute pain medicine, including interventional, pharmacologic, and diagnostic considerations. Written and edited under the auspices of the American Academy of Pain Medicine by members of the Academy's Shared Interest Group for Acute Pain Medicine, the text includes an introduction to acute pain medicine and an easily referenced interventional section. Chapters focus on patients experiencing acute pain from either surgery or other medical conditions and include detailed information on the diagnosis and treatment of specific cases in acute pain medicine. The text is rounded out by the complete content of the thoroughly revised Military Advanced Regional Anesthesia and Analgesia Handbook (MARAA II). Although the MARAA handbook gained its reputation as a useful resource for managing the pain associated with battlefield trauma, its beautifully illustrated step-by-step guidance is useful for providing vital acute pain services in all settings. Acute Pain Medicine is an ideal, complete resource for physicians, fellows, and residents managing acute pain patients.
• Covers diagnosis and treatment of acute pain from both surgical and non-surgical causes.
• Pain syndromes reviewed in case-based format.
• Includes well-illustrated, step-by-step guidance intervention section.
• Written and edited under the auspices of the American Academy of Pain Medicine by members of the Academy's Shared Interest Group for Acute Pain Medicine.
• Chester C. Buckenmaier, III, Professor of Anesthesiology, Director, Defense and Veterans Center for Integrative Pain Management, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.
• Michael Kent, Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center.
• Jason C. Brookman, Attending Staff Anesthesiologist, North American Partners in Anesthesia. Director of Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain Medicine, Department of Anesthesia, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, Patrick J. Tighe, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Florida College of Medicine.
• Edward R. Mariano, Professor of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Palo Alto Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Stanford University School of Medicine.
• David Edwards, Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology, Pain Medicine, Neurological Surgery, Chief, Division of Pain Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center