• SECTION-1: Introduction 1-Background -- allergic diseases2-Introduction to the immune system3-Epidemiology of allergic diseases4- Evaluation of an allergic patient5-Environmental allergens
• SECTION-2: Common Allergic Diseases and Related Illnesses6-Allegic diseases of the eye7-Allergic Rhinitis8- Allergic disease of ear9-Sinsusitis and allergies10-Eosinophilic Esophagitis11- Urticaria & Angioedema12-Atopic Dermatitis13-Allergic contact Dermatitis14-Food Allergy15-Drug Allergy16-Latex Allergy17-Insect Sting Allergy18-Allergy in School Children19-AnaphylaxisSection 3- Asthma and respiratory allergy20-Astham phenotype21-Asthma 22-Allergic asthma23-Exercise induced asthma24-Aspirin-induced asthma25-Cough and cough-variant asthma26-Occuaptiponal asthma27-Asthma in elderly28-Astham in pregnancy29-Astham Masquerader30-Allergic Bronchopulmonary Asperigillus31-Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
• Section 3-Diagnoses32-Prick skin tests33-In-Vitro testing34-Patch Testing35-Non-conventional allergy testsSection 4-Management and Treatment of Allergic Disease36-Preventive and Control measures in Management of Allergic Diseases37-Antihistmaiens38-Bronchodilateros39-Corticosteroids40-Anti-IgE Therapy41-Anti-IL-5 Therapy42-Immunotherapy43-Sublingual Immunotherapy44-Complementary and Alternative Therapy
Allergy and Asthma: The Basics to Best Practices is intended to serve as a single comprehensive reference covering all needed knowledge of allergic diseases. Allergy is a unique and distinctive area of medicine wherein learning the fundamentals requires gathering information from various different disciplines. Allergic diseases affect various organ systems and the practice of a wide range of physicians from otolaryngologists, and pulmonologists, to gastroenterologists, dermatologists, and ophthalmologists. Clinicians and trainees alike will benefit from a resource that introduces the basic concepts, as well as providing comprehensive, consistently up-to-date instruction on intermediate and advanced conditions, research, and treatment strategies.
The book is divided into nine sections and is written by some of the foremost experts in the field. Allergy and Asthma opens with an introduction which covers the epidemiology of allergic diseases, fundamentals of allergy and immunology, and a thorough grounding of different types of allergens. Early sections address allergic upper airway diseases, allergic skin diseases, and asthma in detail, using a structured, consistent format from chapter to chapter to provide continuity and ease of reference. Later sections thoroughly cover various food allergies, insect allergies, drug allergy, anaphylaxis, and utilize ample tables and illustrations to provide additional learning tools for the reader. This major reference not only provides basic knowledge on diagnosing and treating allergies, but moves beyond these basics to emphasize using a systematic approach to working up and treating a patient. A variety of techniques used in diagnosing asthma and allergy will be examined, of which include prick skin tests, in-vitro testing, patch testing and non-conventional allergy tests. Concluding this book are sections dedicated to management, therapeutic strategies of allergy and asthma, with a look to future research directions for this unique field.
Physicians and residents in allergy and immunology, pulmonology, otolaryngology, gastroenterology, dermatology, ophthalmology and other specialties will find the work of value in enhancing their practice and studies. Researchers in a range of areas especially immunology and food science will also find this text to be a compelling and reliable resource.
• Written by experts in the field
• This title is comprehensive, covering the basics, intermediate, and advanced concepts and strategies in allergy care
• Offers ample tables and illustrations for better visualization, along with a consistent, structured format to enhance readability
Dr. Massoud Mahmoudi is a practicing internist and allergist in Los Gatos California. He completed his Ph. D. program in Microbiology at University of North Texas and Wadley Institutes of Molecular Medicine in Texas. Subsequently he completed three different post doctoral fellowships at UT Southwestern Medical School at Dallas Texas doing research on oncogenes, biology of aging, and tissue plasminogen activator. He then attended A.T. Still University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kirksville Missouri where he completed his DO degree. Subsequently he attended an internal medicine residency program at Yale University and Rowan University. Then he completed a fellowship in Allergy and Clinical Immunology at University of California Davis. He is currently President of the American Osteopathic College of Allergy and Immunology and a faculty member at University of California San Francisco, Rowan University, and Touro University.
He is the author/editor of 10 books on Allergy, Immunology, and other medical topics. He was a columnist for local newspapers and the San Francisco Chronicle. He has spoken locally and nationally on Allergy and Immunology and has appeared on local television stations and Fox News. Dr. Mahmoudi is currently the Editor-in Chief of the peer reviewed journal “SN Comprehensive Clinical Medicine”, a Nature-Springer publication.