1. Lipid Mediators in the Pathogenesis and Resolution of Sepsis and ARDS
2. Immune Paralysis in Sepsis: Recent Insights and Future Development
3. Persistent Inflammation, Immunosuppression and Catabolism after Severe Injury or Infection
4. Current Trends in Epidemiology and Antimicrobial Resistance in Neonatal Sepsis
5. Prolonged Infusion of Beta-lactam Antibiotics in Critically Ill Patients: Revisiting the Evidence
6. Colistin Dosing in Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy
7. Left Ventricular Diastolic Dysfunction in the Critically Ill
8. Management of Intraoperative Hypotension: Prediction, Prevention and Personalization
9. Vasodilatory Shock in the ICU: Perils, Pitfalls and Therapeutic Options
10. Angiotensin in Critical Care
11. Making Sense of Early High-dose Intravenous Vitamin C in Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury
12. Optimal Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide Targets During and after Resuscitated Cardiac Arrest
13. Outcome after Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
14. Medico-economic Evaluation of Out-of-hospital Cardiac Arrest Patient Management
15. A Systematic Review of the High-flow Nasal Cannula for Adult Patients
16. Role of Tissue Viscoelasticity in the Pathogenesis of Ventilator-induced Lung Injury
17. Alveolar Recruitment in Patients with Assisted Ventilation: Open Up the Lung in Spontaneous Breathing
18. Close Down the Lungs and Keep them Resting to Minimize Ventilator-induced Lung Injury
19. Diaphragm Dysfunction during Weaning from Mechanical Ventilation: An Underestimated Phenomenon with Clinical Implications
20. Emerging Technology Platforms for Optical Molecular Imaging and Sensing at the Alveolar Level in the Critically ill
21. Contributors to Differences between Mixed and Central Venous Oxygen Saturation
22. Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis in Critical Care
23. Acute Kidney Injury and Microcirculatory Shock
24. Critical Care Ultrasonography and Acute Kidney Injury
25. Acute Kidney Injury Risk Prediction
26. Early Detection of Acute Kidney Injury after Cardiac Surgery: A Problem Solved?
27. Biomarker-guided Care Bundles for Acute Kidney Injury: The Time has Come
28. High Cut-off Membranes for Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy
29. The Role of Intraoperative Renal Replacement Therapy in Liver Transplantation
30. Effects of Fluids on the Macro- and Microcirculations
31. Regulation of Cardiac Output and Manipulation with Fluids
32. Assessment of Fluid Responsiveness in Patients with Intraabdominal Hypertension
33. Assessment of Fluid Overload in Critically Ill Patients: Role of Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis
34. Prothrombin Complex Concentrate: Anticoagulation Reversal and Beyond
35. Advances in Mechanisms, Diagnosis and Treatment of Coagulopathy and Progression of Hemorrhage After Traumatic Brain Injury
36. Blood Transfusion in Critically Ill Patients with Traumatic Brain Injury
37. Systemic Inflammation and Cerebral Dysfunction
38. Opening a Window to the Injured Brain: Non-invasive Neuromonitoring with Quantitative Pupillometry
The Annual Update compiles reviews of the most recent developments in experimental and clinical intensive care and emergency medicine research and practice in one comprehensive reference book. The chapters are written by well recognized experts in these fields. The book is addressed to everyone involved in internal medicine, anesthesia, surgery, pediatrics, intensive care and emergency medicine.
• Comprehensively documents the most recent developments in experimental and clinical research in intensive care and emergency medicine
• Written by acknowledged experts in the field
• Broad appeal for all who work in internal medicine, anesthesia, surgery, pediatrics, intensive care and emergency medicine.
Prof. Vincent is Professor of intensive care at the University of Brussels, and intensivist in the Department of Intensive Care at Erasme University Hospital in Brussels. He is President of the World Federation of Societies of Intensive and Critical Care Medicine (WFSICCM) and a Past-President of the Belgian Society of Intensive Care Medicine (SIZ), the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine (ESICM), the European Shock Society (ESS), and the International Sepsis Forum (ISF). He is a member of the Royal Medical Academy of Belgium.
Prof. Vincent has signed more than 900 original articles, some 400 book chapters and review articles, 1000 original abstracts, and has edited 102 books. He is co-editor of the Textbook of Critical Care (Elsevier Saunders) and the “Encyclopedia of Intensive Care Medicine” (Springer). He is editor-in-chief of "Critical Care", "Current Opinion in Critical Care", and "ICU Management & Practice" and member of the editorial boards of about 30 journals.
For 37 years, Prof. Vincent has been chairman of the International Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, the largest international meeting in this field, which gathers more than 6000 participants every year in Brussels.
He has received several awards, including the Distinguished Investigator Award of the Society of Critical Care Medicine and the College Medalist Award of the American College of Chest Physicians He is a recipient of the "Society Medal” (lifetime award) of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine and has received the prestigious Belgian scientific award of the FRS-FNRS (Prix Scientifique Joseph Maisin-Sciences Biomédicales Cliniques). In recognition of these achievements, he was awarded the title of Baron by King Albert II of Belgium in 2013.