• Volume 1. Foundations
- Part I. Origins and Overviews
1. Historical Foundations of the Field of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, James W. Trent, Jr.
2. Intellectual Disability, Developmental Disabilities, and the Field of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Robert L. Schalock and Ruth Luckasson
3. Legal, Ethical, and Social Issues Affecting the Lives of People With Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Katherine E. MacDonald, Micah FialkaFeldman, Alison Barkoff, and Molly Burgdorf
- Part II. Causality and Variation
4. Epidemiology of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Maureen S. Durkin and Eric Rubenstein
5. Behavioral Phenotypes and Genomic Testing: Scientific and Societal Implications, Elisabeth M. Dykens
6. Down Syndrome, Robert M. Hodapp and Deborah J. Fidler
7. Fragile X Syndrome and Associated Disorders, Leonard J. Abbeduto, Angela John Thurman, Laura del Hoyo Soriano, and Jessica Klusek
8. Chromosome 15 Syndromes Associated With Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Charlotte DiStefano and Shafali S. Jeste
9. The Autism Spectrum: Diagnosis and Epidemiology, Melanie Pellecchia, Kelsey S. Dickson, Sarah F. Vejnoska, and Aubyn C. Stahmer
10. Acquired Brain Injury: A Developmental Perspective, Lisa Jacobson and Gwendolyn Gerner
11. Cerebral Palsy: Epidemiology, Neurobiology, and Lifespan Management, Eric M. Chin, Tara L. Johnson, and Alexander H. Hoon, Jr.
12. Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders and Other Teratogenic Conditions, Sarah N. Mattson, Lauren R. Doyle, and Leila Glass
13. Linking Poverty and Developmental Disabilities, Theodore D. Wachs and Kathleen S. Gorman
14. Culture, Race, and Ethnicity and Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Sandy MagaÑa and Sandra B. Vanegas
- Part III. Assessment, Diagnosis, and Labeling
15. Theories and Measurement of Intelligence, Randy G. Floyd, Ryan L. Farmer, W. Joel Schneider, and Kevin S. McGrew
16. Theories and Measurement of Adaptive Behavior, Marc J. TassÉ and Giulia Balboni
17. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities and Mental Health, Yona Lunsky, Peter E. Langdon, Brianne Redquest, and Jane Summers
18. Attitudes, Stigma, and Ableism Toward People With Intellectual Disability, Kristin A. Dell'Armo and Marc J. TassÉ
• Volume 2. Clinical and Educational Implications: Prevention, Intervention, and Treatment
- Part I. EvidenceBased Practice and Treatment
1. Early Intervention for Children with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Laura Lee McIntyre, Megan Kunze, Hannah Barton, and Mathew Luehring
2. Applied Behavioral Analysis and Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Wendy Machalicek, Allaina Douglas, Christine Drew, Hannah Barton, Buket Erturk, and Tasia Brafford
3. Psychoeducational Approaches to Instruction of Students with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Michael L. Wehmeyer
4. Special Education Law: Programming and Placement, Mitchell L. Yell, James C. Collins, Mickey Losinski, and Michael A. Couvillon
5. Special Education Curriculum and Pedagogy, Susan R. Copeland and Megan M. Griffin
6. The Autism Spectrum: Intervention, Treatment, and Services, Amanda C. Gulsrud and Patricia Renno
7. Diagnosis and Management of Cerebral Palsy and Other Types of Pediatric Brain Injury, Kathleen M. Friel, Claudio L. Ferre, and Andrew M. Gordon
8. Controversial Treatments, Therapies, and Theories in Science and Professional Practice in the Field of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Richard M. Foxx
- Part II. Lifespan Issues
9. Family Impact and Adjustment Across the Lifespan: Parents of Children with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Laraine Masters Glidden, Frank J. Floyd, Richard P. Hastings, and Marsha R. Mailick
10. Family Impact and Adjustment Across the Lifespan: Siblings of Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Gael I. Orsmond and Kristin A. Long
11. The Transition to Adulthood for Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Leann Smith DaWalt, Julie Lounds Taylor, and Marsha R. Mailick
12. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities and the Criminal Justice System, J. Gregory Olley and Ann W. Cox
13. Achieving Competitive Integrated Employment for Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Paul Wehman, Carol Schall, Lauren Avellone, Alissa Molinelli Brooke, Valerie Brooke, Jennifer McDonough, and Holly Whittenburg
14. Residential Services for Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, K. Charlie Lakin, Amy S. Hewitt, Heidi J. Eschenbacher, and Jerry W. Smith
15. Reconsidering Sexuality, Relationships, and Parenthood for Adults with Intellectual Disability, David McConnell, Marjorie Aunos, Laura Pacheco, and Lyndsey Hahn
16. Spirituality and Supports for Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities and Their Families, Erik W. Carter
17. Maltreatment of Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities: A Lifespan View, Linda Hickson and Ishita Khemka
18. Health of Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities: A Lifespan View, Susan M. Havercamp, Rose E. Nevill, and Jill Crane
19. Aging in Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Tamar Heller and Lieke van Heumen
20. Summary and Future Directions: Where We Have Been, Where We Are, Where We Are Going, Laraine Masters Glidden, Leonard J. Abbeduto, Laura Lee McIntyre, and Marc J. TassÉ
This comprehensive, interdisciplinary handbook presents the latest research in the study, assessment, treatment, and understanding of intellectual and developmental disabilities.
The past five decades have resulted in dramatic breakthroughs in the understanding of intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Editor-in-Chief Laraine Masters Glidden and her editorial team provide an overview of the historical foundations of the field of IDD as well as up-to-date material on clinical diagnosis, assessment, interventions, and treatments for such conditions.
It goes on to address legal, ethical, and educational issues; and other social issues that affect the lives of people with IDD, including family impact and adjustment, relationships and parenting, spirituality, residential and caretaking services, maltreatment and criminal justice issues, stigma and ableism, health, and aging.
Chapters address the etiology and treatment of specific conditions (including Down syndrome, fragile X syndrome, other genetic and chromosomal conditions, autism spectrum disorder, acquired brain injury, cerebral palsy, and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders) as well as functioning in multiple domains and throughout the lifespan.
Contributing causes to IDD are explored within various contexts such as culture, race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status.