• Part I. Introduction to Sport Management
Chapter 1. Managing Sports
Chapter 2. The Sport Industry Environment
• Part II. Planning
Chapter 3. Creative Problem Solving and Decision Making
Chapter 4. Strategic and Operational Planning
• Part III. Organizing
Chapter 5. Organizing and Delegating Work
Chapter 6. Sport Culture, Innovation, and Diversity
Chapter 7. Human Resources Management
• Part IV. Leading
Chapter 8. Behavior in Organizations
Chapter 9. Team Development
Chapter 10. Communicating for Results
Chapter 11. Motivating to Win
Chapter 12. Leading to Victory
• Part V. Controlling
Chapter 13. Controlling Quality, Financials, Productivity and Managing People
Chapter 14. Facilities and Events Management
Applied Sport Management Skills, Third Edition With Web Study Guide, takes a unique and effective approach to teaching students how to become strong leaders and managers in the world of sport. Organized around the central management functions—planning, organizing, leading, and controlling—this third edition addresses the Common Professional Component topics outlined by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA).
The text explains important concepts but then takes the student beyond theories, to applying those management principles and developing management skills. This practical how-to approach, accompanied by unmatched learning tools, helps students put concepts into action as sport managers—developing the skills of creative problem solving and strategic planning, and developing the ability to lead, organize, and delegate.
Applied Sport Management Skills, Third Edition, has been heavily revised and touts a full-color format with 1,300 new references. Content updates keep pace with industry trends, including deeper discussions of legal liability, risk management and equipment management, servant leadership, sport culture, and social media. Particularly valuable are the special elements and practical applications that offer students real opportunities to develop their skills:
• Features such as Reviewing Their Game Plan and Sport Management Professionals @ Work (new to this edition) provide a cohesive thread to keep students focused on how sport managers use the concepts on the job.
• Applying the Concept and Time-Out sidebars offer opportunities for critical thinking by having the student think about how specific concepts relate to a sport situation or to the student’s actual experiences in sports, including part-time jobs, full-time jobs, internships, and volunteer work.
• Self-Assessment exercises offer insight into students’ strengths and weaknesses and how to address shortcomings.
An enhanced web study guide is integrated with the text to facilitate a more interactive setting with which to complete many of the learning activities. Several of the exercises require students to visit a sport organization and answer questions to gain a better understanding of sport management.
• Skill-Builder Exercises present a variety of scenarios and provide step-by-step guidance on handling day-to-day situations such as setting priorities, conducting job interviews, handling conflict, and coaching employees to better performance.
• Sports and Social Media Exercises offer Internet-based activities that expose students to the role of social media in managing a sport organization. Students are required to use popular social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn and visit sport websites.
• Game Plan for Starting a Sport Business cases put students in the driver’s seat and ask them to perform managerial activities such as developing an organization structure and formulating ideas on how to lead their employees.
The web study guide allows students to complete most of the learning activities online or download them and then submit them to the instructor. Instructors will also have access to a suite of ancillaries: an instructor guide, test package, and presentation package.
Applied Sport Management Skills, Third Edition, is a critical resource that provides students with a thorough understanding of the management principles used in sport organizations while also helping students developing their practical skills. Students will appreciate the opportunity to begin building a solid foundation for a fulfilling career in sport management.
Applied text for students in sport management and administration, sport business, sport leadership, sport industry, and other sport management courses; reference for sport managers and libraries.