• Basic and Applied Sciences
• The Handball Medical Perimeter / Medical Preparation and Aspects
• On Court Management
• Basketball Injuries and Management
• Injury prevention, Rehabilitation and Back to Field Process
• Special considerations
• Psychological Aspects in Basketball.
This book is designed as a comprehensive educational resource not only for basketball medical caregivers and scientists but for all basketball personnel. Written by a multidisciplinary team of leading experts in their fields, it provides information and guidance on injury prevention, injury management, and rehabilitation for physicians, physical therapists, athletic trainers, rehabilitation specialists, conditioning trainers, and coaches. All commonly encountered injuries and a variety of situations and scenarios specific to basketball are covered with the aid of more than 200 color photos and illustrations. Basketball Sports Medicine and Science is published in collaboration with ESSKA and will represent a superb, comprehensive educational resource. It is further hoped that the book will serve as a link between the different disciplines and modalities involved in basketball care, creating a common language and improving communication within the team staff and environment.
• Practical guidelines from top experts in the field
• Coverage of unique scenarios in basketball
• More than 200 color photos and illustrations
• Lior Laver, MD, is a sports orthopaedic surgeon, originally from Israel, who currently works at the Department of Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy, Young Adult Hip Service, The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham and at University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire – NHS trust, UK. His main focus is the arthroscopic treatment of sports-related injuries of the knee, hip, and shoulder. He has been orthopaedic team doctor for various football, basketball, and volleyball teams and is a former international handball player. Dr. Laver has published many peer-reviewed articles and book chapters and is a reviewer for KSSTA. He is also a board member of the ESSKA arthroscopy committee and European Sports Medicine Associates (ESMA).
• Baris Kocaoglu, MD, is Professor in the Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology at Acibadem University Faculty of Medicine, Turkey. After graduating from Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, in 1999, he completed a residency in the Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Marmara University Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul; Sports Medicine Fellowship in the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, USA and finally ESSKA-AOSSM Traveling fellowship. He is the board member and team doctor of Turkish Basketball Federation. He has authored 65 articles in international publications.
• Jeffrey R. Bytomski, DO, FAOASM, is a sports medicine specialist and Professor at Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA. He has been Head Medical Team Physician at Duke University Medical Center since 2003 and from 2003 to 2011 he was also Director of the Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship. He has been team physician for USA Basketball since 2009. He served as president of the American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine in 2017–8 and is a longstanding editorial board member of the Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine.
• Brian J. Cole, MD, MBA, is a Professor in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill. He is Chairman of the Department of Surgery at Rush Oak Park Hospital and a Managing Partner of Midwest Orthopedics at Rush. Dr. Cole has been team physician to many sports teams. He has been the recipient of numerous honors and awards, has held many committee positions, and has served on the editorial boards of various journals. He is the author of more than 500 peer-reviewed publications and has authored or edited many textbooks.
• Amelia (Amy) Arundale, DPT, PhD, is a physical therapist and biomechanist at The Brooklyn Nets. She gained a Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Duke University in 2011 and a PhD in Biomechanics and Movement Science from the University of Delaware in 2017. She has received awards including the Emerging Leader Award from the American Physical Therapy Association and New Horizons Award from the American Academy of Sports Physical Therapy. Amy has presented at conferences international as well as authored numerous peer-reviewed articles and book-chapters. Her areas of expertise are injury prevention and return to play, particularly related to ACL injuries.
• Annunziato Amendola, MD, FRCS(C), DABOS, is Professor and Vice Chair of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Director of Sports Medicine at Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA. He is the Chief Medical Officer for Duke Athletics and Executive Director of the Urbaniak Sports Sciences Institute. He has served on the Board of Directors of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and in 2016 became 45th president of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM). Dr. Amendola has served on the editorial boards of various leading journals. He has authored over 300 articles in refereed journals and co-edited or co-authored six books.