Introduction. Evolution of the Sport of Bodybuilding
Chapter 1. The Art and Science of Bodybuilding
Chapter 2. Sorting Through the Sanctions
Chapter 3. Breaking Down the Divisions and Classes
Chapter 4. The Reality of Readiness
Chapter 5. Show Selection and Timing: The Secrets of Preparation
Chapter 6. Fueling Your Physique for Contest Preparation
Chapter 7. Tweaking Your Physique for Contest Preparation
Chapter 8. The Art of Posing
Chapter 9. The Finishing Touches and Final Preparation
Chapter 10. Peak Week Explained
Chapter 11. Contest Weekend: Strategizing for Success
Chapter 12. After the Event: Recovery and Recommendations
The popularity of bodybuilding is at an all-time high, and the sport is continuing to grow. But seasoned competitors and beginners often have questions about how to look their best on show day. Written by expert bodybuilding coaches Peter Fitschen and Cliff Wilson, Bodybuilding: The Complete Contest Preparation Handbook will guide you through every step of the process to select a competition, prepare for the contest, and make the transition to the off-season. With no other book like it on the market, Bodybuilding offers you scientifically supported and experience-based guidelines to help you have your best show ever.
Bodybuilding takes the guesswork out of preparing for a contest and answers common questions such as these:
• How do I choose the competition and division that are right for me?
• What mandatory poses do I need to learn for my competition?
• What is the best workout to do during contest prep?
• What should I do if I start to spill over during peak week?
• How long is too long to maintain stage-lean levels of body fat?
The authors have created an easily accessible handbook that guides you step by step. The chapters begin with a background of the sport, followed by a discussion of the competitive division options for both men and women. The next chapters will help you through the process of obtaining a stage-ready physique with an evidence-based approach that combines scientific literature with practical experience. These chapters discuss important topics such as nutrition, training, and preparation timing.
The next chapters address posing, peak week, tanning, and a number of other topics that will help you bring your most polished physique to the stage. More than 60 full-color photos show body types for each division and each mandatory pose, offering a visual guide to the proper positions for each pose. You will also find information on how to handle the transition to the off-season.
• Peter J. Fitschen, PhD, CSCS, is the owner of FITbody and Physique, where he works full time as a contest prep coach. His combination of education and experience are unique in the sport of bodybuilding. He has a PhD in nutritional sciences from the University of Illinois, a master’s degree in biology with a physiology concentration, and a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry from the University of Wisconsin at La Crosse. As a researcher, Fitschen has coauthored 18 peer-reviewed publications, including several directly related to bodybuilding contest preparation. He is certified as a strength and conditioning specialist (CSCS) through the National Strength and Conditioning Association. He has been competing in natural bodybuilding since 2004 and won his natural pro card in 2012.
• Cliff Wilson is a professional natural bodybuilder and one of the top physique coaches in the industry, having established himself through his work with competitive bodybuilders and powerlifters. Using a combination of scientifically proven methods and experience-driven techniques, Wilson’s clients have amassed over 100 pro cards, more than 60 professional titles, and 9 world championships. His reputation as a coach has also allowed him to become a noted fitness author, with articles published in dozens of magazines and websites. Wilson is also a noted guest speaker who has given lectures around the world.