List of Contributors xi
1 Introduction to Oral Medicine and Oral Diagnosis: Patient Evaluation 1
2 Overview of Clinical Research 19
3 Ulcerative, Vesicular, and Bullous Lesions 35
4 Red and White Lesions of the Oral Mucosa 85
5 Pigmented Lesions of the Oral Mucosa 139
6 Benign Lesions of the Oral Cavity and the Jaws 171
7 Head and Neck Cancer 211
8 Oral Complications of Nonsurgical Cancer Therapies 259
9 Salivary Gland Diseases 281
10 Temporomandibular Disorders 349
11 Neuropathic Orofacial Pain 419
12 Common Headache Disorders 453
13 Diseases of the Respiratory Tract 469
14 Diseases of the Cardiovascular System 505
15 Diseases of the Gastrointestinal Tract 553
16 Renal Diseases 579
17 Hematologic Diseases 627
18 Bleeding and Clotting Disorders 665
19 Immunologic Diseases 705
20 Transplantation Medicine 745
21 Infectious Diseases 785
22 Disorders of the Endocrine System and of Metabolism 817
23 Neurologic Diseases 903
24 Psychological and Psychiatric Aspects of Oral Health 933
25 Pediatric Oral Medicine 943
26 Geriatric Oral Medicine 991
27 The Role of Genetics in Oral Medicine 1009
28 Laboratory Medicine and Diagnostic Pathology 1037
29 How to Identify, Interpret and Apply the Scientific Literature to Practice 1059
This thoroughly revised Thirteenth Edition of Burket's Oral Medicine reflects the scope of modern Oral Medicine with updated content written by 80 contributing oral medicine and medical experts from across the globe.
The text emphasizes the diagnosis and management of diseases of the mouth and maxillofacial region as well as safe dental management for patients with complex medical disorders such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, infectious diseases, bleeding disorders, renal diseases, and many more.
In addition to comprehensively expanded chapters on oral mucosal diseases, including those on ulcers, blisters, red, white and pigmented lesions, readers will also find detailed discussions on:
• orofacial pain, temporomandibular disorders, headache and salivary gland disease;
• oral and oropharyngeal cancers, including the management of oral complications of cancer therapy;
• genetics, laboratory medicine and transplantation medicine;
• pediatric and geriatric oral medicine;
• psychiatry and psychology;
• clinical research; and
• interpreting the biomedical literature
The Thirteenth Edition of Burket's Oral Medicine is an authoritative reference valuable to students, residents, oral medicine specialists, teachers, and researchers as well as dental and medical specialists.
• Michael Glick, DMD, FDS RCSEd, is Professor of Oral Medicine and Executive Director, Center for Integrative Global Oral Health in the School of Dental Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA, USA.
• Martin S. Greenberg, DDS, FDS RCSEd, is Professor Emeritus of Oral Medicine in the School of Dental Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA, USA.
• Peter Lockhart, DDS, FDS RCSEd, FDS RCPS, is Research Professor of Oral Medicine at the Atrium Health’s Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, NC, USA.
• Stephen J. Challacombe, PhD, DSc, FRCPath, FDS RCSEd, FDS RCS, FMedSci, is the Martin Rushton Professor of Oral Medicine at King’s College London, in London, UK.