This book sheds new light on central pain, a field that is largely obscured by lack of knowledge among pain professionals at all levels, including high-end pain centers. As a matter of fact, central pain, classified as a form of neuropathic pain, remains too often a scourge for those affected due to the ignorance of pain therapists worldwide and enduring misconceptions at the academic level. By weighing up the relevant evidence, the authors aim to remedy the situation by providing clear-cut, no-nonsense, unbiased and directly applicable clinical information.
The clinically sound guidelines presented here are based on the authors’ twenty years of treating patients and conducting research in the field. The book will be an invaluable guide for neurologists, neurosurgeons, anesthesiologists, pain therapists as well as physiotherapists.
• Presents the most extensive catalog of studies to date on the subject to benefit researchers and clinicians
• Includes revised treatment guidelines based on critical, unbiased assessments of the latest literature
• Discusses diagnostic and therapeutic methods in detail
• The only book on the topic
• Sergio Canavero, functional neurosurgeon, is professor (hon. c.) at Harbin Medical University in China. Dr. Canavero founded and led the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group, a think-tank devoted to the advancement of brain stimulation techniques, for 20 years. He invented Extradural Motor Cortex Stimulation for Parkinson Disease, Bifocal Extradural Cortical Stimulation for Stroke Rehabilitation and the Vegetative State, and discovered the mechanism of Central Pain Syndrome at age 27. He has over 100 peer-reviewed publications and several books to his credit, and serves as a reviewer for some of the most important scientific journals like Nature Reviews, New England Journal of Medicine, Brain, Neuroimage, and Pain.
• Vincenzo Bonicalzi is an adjunct professor of Neurophysiopathology at the Department of Neurosciences, Ospedale Molinette (Turin, Italy) as well as pain therapist and neuroanesthesiologist.