1:Septic shock in children, Sainath Raman and Mark J. Peters
2:The collapsed neonate, Jon Lillie and Shane Tibby
3:Bronchiolitis, Crawford Fulton and Kentigern Thorburn
4:Cardiac arrest, Andrew J. Lautz, Ryan W. Morgan, and Vinay M. Nadkarni
5:Acute severe asthma, Andrew Nyman and Andrew Durward
6:Paediatric acute respiratory distress syndrome, Christiane Eberhardt and Peter C. Rimensberger
7:Traumatic brain injury, Lisa A. DelSignore and Robert C. Tasker
8:Acute liver failure, Andrew Jones and Akash Deep
9:Acute kidney injury, Reshma Bholah and Timothy E. Bunchman
10:Difficult airway in PICU, Elizabeth O'Donohoe, Thomas Breen, and Fiona Reynolds
11:The Stem cell transplant patient in PICU, Omer Aziz and Rachel Agbeko
12:Ethical, legal and end-of-life decision-making, Samiran Ray, Miriam R. Fine-Goulden, and Joe Brierley
13:Low Cardiac Output State (LCOS) in a post-operative cardiac patient, Arun Ghose and Adrian Plunkett
14:Extracorporeal life support, Ryan P. Barbaro, Roxanne Kirsch, and Gail Annich
15:Status epilepticus in PICU, Justin Q. Y. Wang and Hari Krishnan
16:Safeguarding children in paediatric intensive care, Thomas D. Jerrom and Padmanabhan Ramnarayan
17:Managing children with inherited metabolic diseases in PICU, Dilanee Sangaran and Mike Champion
18:Nutritional considerations, Ben D. Albert, Katelyn Ariagno, and Nilesh M. Mehta
Providing the inside track on how the experts approach and deal with real-life clinical scenarios, Challenging Concepts in Paediatric Critical Care explores eighteen common, complex and often contentious topics seen in hospitals, high dependency units, and PICU's worldwide. These include cases on 'Paediatric acute respiratory distress syndrome', 'Traumatic brain injury', and 'Safeguarding children in paediatric intensive care'.
With a case-based approach, complex patient presentations are explored thoroughly so that assessment, diagnosis, and management are fully considered and explored with 'Clinical Tips', 'Learning Points', and 'Evidence Base' boxes. Throughout commentary from an international expert identifies and explains the key points and controversies of each case.
Aligned to the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health's paediatric intensive care medicine curriculum in the UK, the curriculum of Paediatric Basic Assessment and Support in Intensive Care (BASIC) course, and the European Paediatric/ Neonatal Intensive Care Diploma (EPIC), this text is ideal for training and assessment preparation.
Aimed primarily at trainees and registrars in paediatric intensive care medicine, this text will appeal to those in the related disciplines of anaesthesia, emergency medicine, and paediatrics, as well as consultants and senior nurses.
• A case-based guide with expert commentary, dealing with complex and stressful clinical scenarios in hospitals, high dependency units, and PICU's worldwide
• Mapped to the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health's paediatric intensive care curriculum and the European Paediatric/ Neonatal Intensive Care Diploma (EPIC)
• Each chapter explores a real-life case, with the most up-to-date evidence, management strategies, and guidelines
• 'Clinical Tips', 'Learning Points', and 'Evidence Base' boxes highlight critical information to enhance the learning process
• Commentary from experts in the field gives unique insight into how today's medical leaders confront and deal with complex critical care cases
• Dr Hari Krishnan is a Consultant Paediatric Intensivist at Birmingham Children's Hospital, Birmingham, UK.
• Dr Miriam R. Fine-Goulden is a Consultant at the Paediatric Intensive Care and South Thames Retrieval Service, Evelina London Children's Hospital, Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK.
• Dr Sainath Raman is a Senior Medical Officer, Paediatric Intensive Care at Queensland Children's Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia.
• Dr Akash Deep is Director of the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, King's College Hospital, London, UK.