1. Introduction to the Right Heart
2. New Onset Heart Failure: Which Side Is It, Right or Left?
3. Multimodality Imaging of the Right Heart
4. Born with a Failing Right Heart
5. Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy (ARVC)
6. Right Heart Failure from Pulmonary Embolism
7. The Failing Right Heart from Pulmonary Hypertension
8. Right Heart Failure from Carcinoid Syndrome
9. Mechanical Support of the Failing Right Heart
10. Right Heart Failure After Cardiac Transplantation
11. Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation in Heart Failure
12. Palliative Care of the Right Heart
This book provides a practical clinical case-based review of right heart failure. Cases of common and rarely encountered presentations of right heart failure are covered. Featured cases include right heart failure due to pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary embolism, valvular heart disease, myocardial infarction and congenital heart disease as well as how to differentiate new onset right heart failure from left heart failure. The medical management and mechanical support of right ventricular failure utilizing percutaneous and surgical techniques is reviewed along with the latest palliative and rehabilitation strategies.
Clinical Cases in Right Heart Failure features a wealth of common and unusual case presentations of right heart failure and its clinical management, providing an ideal resource for trainees and practicing clinicians who encounter these patients.
• Provides a concise practically applicable guide on right heart failure
• Features a wealth of cases and helpful algorithms to aid the reader to be able to develop their decision making skills
• Contains guidance on the latest techniques and strategies for clinical management, mechanical support and palliative care
• Lana Tsao, M.D. is the Director of St. Elizabeth's Medical Center Advanced Heart Failure Program and an Associate Professor of Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine. She earned her medical degree from the University of Vermont College of Medicine in Burlington, Vermont, USA and completed her Internal Medicine Residency at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. She trained in cardiovascular medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York before completing an Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology Fellowship at New York Presbyterian Hospital of Columbia University Medical Center followed by a cardiovascular research fellowship at the Cardiovascular Research Center at Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Tsao's clinical specialties include: cardiac transplantation; heart failure; valvular heart disease; and heart disease in women.
• Maxwell Afari, MD is an Advanced Heart Failure, Mechanical Circulatory Support, and Transplant Cardiologist at Maine Medical Center/ Tufts University School of Medicine. He completed Medical School at the Pontificia Universidade Catolica de Sao Paulo in Brazil. After completing a translation research fellowship at the Cardiovascular Research Foundation of New York, he trained in internal medicine at Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island/ Brown University School of Medicine. He pursued Cardiovascular Medicine fellowship at St Elizabeth's Medical Center in Boston followed by an Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology Fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital/ Harvard Medical. He is board certified in internal medicine, cardiovascular medicine, echocardiography, and nuclear cardiology. Dr. Afari's clinical and research interests are infiltrative cardiomyopathy, cardio-oncology, mechanical circulatory support, and transplant cardiology.