1. Introduction: History of Coronavirus Disease Pandemic
2. Basic Virology and Pathophysiology of COVID-19
3. Clinical Manifestations of Corona Virus Disease
4. Diagnostic Approach to a Patient with Coronavirus Disease
5. Therapeutic Approach to Coronavirus Disease
6. Anesthetic Consideration for Patients with Corona Virus Disease
7. Intensive Care Management of Corona Virus Disease
8. Complications of Corona Virus Disease
9. Psychosocial Issues Related to Corona Virus Disease
10. Trauma Care and Coronavirus Disease
11. Pregnant Patients and COVID-19
12. Pediatric Patients and COVID-19
13. Geriatric Patients and COVID-19
14. Control of Spread of Coronavirus Disease
15. Ethical Issues Related to Coronavirus Disease
Corona virus disease or COVID-19 or SARS-CoV-2 infection is the latest pandemic that has affected humans globally. The disease has manifested itself in several forms and is now the focus of research worldwide.
This book covers all the clinical aspects of the novel corona virus disease, COVID-19, which is one of the most contagious diseases ever known. It includes topics related to basic sciences, such as the virology and pathophysiology of the SARS-CoV-2 disease. It includes chapters related to symptomatology of the disease and making diagnosis, preparation of the health care workers to deal with this global pandemic. The book includes chapters on anesthetic and intensive care management of COVID-19 disease victims as these topics are of vast importance. Additionally, it includes a chapter giving insight in to the ethical aspects of the issues raised regarding disposal of bodies of the victims, as this pandemic has taken many lives across the world. It includes a chapter on special considerations to patient population such as geriatrics, pediatrics and pregnant women.
The book serves as a useful resource for practitioners and clinicians in any field of medicine. It is also relevant for residents, trainees, fellows pursuing their courses in emergency medicine, anesthesia and critical care as well as postgraduates and even undergraduates.
The book will serve as a ready-reckoner and useful guide for physicians from varied specialties during their clinical practice.
• Provides comprehensive overview of clinical aspects of novel corona virus disease
• Provides latest evidence based approach to management of COVID-19
• Includes chapters on critical care management and complications of COVID-19
• Provides algorithms and flowcharts for quick understanding and decision making for SARS-CoV-2 pandemic
• Includes figures and schematic diagrams wherever relevant
• Dr Hemanshu Prabhakar is a Professor at the Department of Neuroanesthesiology and Critical Care at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, India. He received his training in Neuroanesthesia and completed his PhD in the same institute. He is the first Indian to be awarded the degree of PhD in Neuroanesthesia, in the country. He is a recipient of the AIIMS Excellence Award 2012 for his notable contribution to academia and has published over 250 papers in peer-reviewed national and international journals. Dr. Prabhakar is a reviewer for various national and international journals, and is also a review author for the Cochrane Collaboration. He has special interest in evidence-based practice of neuroanesthesia. Dr. Prabhakar is a member of various national and international neuroanesthesia societies and is past secretary of the Indian Society of Neuroanesthesia and Critical Care. He is an invited speaker for various national and international conferences. He is on the editorial board of the Indian Journal of Palliative Care and is the past executive editor of the Journal of Neuroanaesthesiology and Critical Care. He is the first Indian to publish international books in the speciality of neuroanesthesia. He is an active member of the of the SNACC (Society of Neurosciences in Anesthesiology and Critical Care), NCS (Neurocritical Care Society) and NACCS (Neuroanaesthesia and Critical Care Society of Great Britain and Ireland) . He was featured in the Limca Book of Records 2019 for publishing several books on a niche subject.
• Dr Indu Kapoor is Associate Professor in the Department of Neuroanaesthesiology and Critical Care at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, India. She received her training in neuroanesthesia at the same institute. Dr. Kapoor has a special interest in evidence-based practice in neuroanesthesia. She has several publications in national and international journals to her credit and has written numerous chapters for various national and international books. She is also a reviewer of national and international journals and a review author for the Cochrane Collaboration. She is a recipient of many awards. Additionally, she is a member of various national societies and has been an invited faculty member at various national conferences. She is an editor of several books on the subject of neuroanesthesia and neurocritical care.
• Dr Charu Mahajan is Associate Professor in the Department of Neuroanaesthesiology and Critical Care at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, India. After completing MD in Anesthesia, she completed DM in neuroanesthesia at AIIMS and later joined AIIMS as a faculty member. She has over a decade of research experience and has received various awards for scientific presentations. She has several publications in various national and international journals, edited several books and authored chapters in many books. She is a reviewer for the Cochrane Collaboration. Dr. Mahajan is also a member of various scientific societies and is a reviewer for several reputable scientific journals.