Optimized for medical necessity and reimbursement understanding, this all-in-one resource focuses on the most important CPT and HCPCS codes for general surgery and gastroenterology, plus medicine and ancillary services codes chosen by experts who have taken into consideration utilization, denial risk and complexity. CPT® Coding Essentials optimizes both CPT and ICD-10 code selection with helpful CPT-to-ICD-10-CM crosswalks and detailed explanations of anatomy, physiology and documentation. In addition, for the first time in the same volume, verbatim guidelines and parenthetical information from the CPT codebook specific to general surgery and gastroenterology CPT codes can be found. This is the ideal daily companion featuring useful, definitive specialty-specific coding information beyond what is provided in a full procedural code book. General surgery and gastroenterology coding and billing knowledge that otherwise might take years of experience or multiple resources to accumulate is available in a single volume.
Features and Benefits:
• A subset of specialty-specific CPT codes chosen by experts who take into consideration utilization, denial risk and complexity
• Official AMA coding guidelines pertinent to the specialty and not available in any competitor's specialty codebooks
• Official code-specific CPT parenthetical instructions
• Plain English descriptors that clarify for the reader the details of the service represented by the CPT code
• CPT® Assistant citations
• Procedural illustrations
• Crosswalks from CPT to ICD-10-CM
• National Correct Coding Initiative (CCI) edits to identify bundled and separately billable codes
• CMS Pub 100 billing guidance citations
• Facility and non-facility relative value units (RVUs) including global surgery days, physician work and practice, malpractice and total expenses as well as those modifiers that can affect relative values
• Additional chapters on terminology and anatomy, HCPCS codes, CPT modifiers and ICD-10-CM coding and documentation practices
• Appendixes offering clinical documentation checklists and evaluation and management (E/M) guidelines
The American Medical Association has promoted scientific advancement, improved public health and protected the patient-physician relationship since its establishment in 1847. The AMA is the premier national organization dedicated to empowering the nation's physicians to provide safer, higher quality and more efficient care to patients and communities.
For more than 50 years, the AMA, in drawing upon its deep expertise and resources, has authored and published books, data files and online resources that answer the needs of today's busy physicians and their staff. The AMA product line includes titles on CPT®, HCPCS and ICD-10 coding, as well as reimbursement, practice management, disability evaluation, impairment, HIPAA and electronic health records.