This book is designed to serve as an up-to-date reference on the use of cone-beam computed tomography for the purpose of 3D imaging of the craniofacial complex. The focus is in particular on the ways in which craniofacial 3D imaging changes how we think about conventional diagnosis and treatment planning and on its clinical applications within orthodontics and oral and maxillofacial surgery. Emphasis is placed on the value of 3D imaging in visualizing the limits of the alveolar bone, the airways, and the temporomandibular joints and the consequences for treatment planning and execution. The book will equip readers with the knowledge required in order to apply and interpret 3D imaging to the benefit of patients. All of the authors have been carefully selected on the basis of their expertise in the field. In describing current thinking on the merits of 3D craniofacial imaging, they draw both on the available scientific literature and on their own translational research findings.
• Explains how cone beam CT 3D imaging alters thinking on conventional orthodontic diagnosis and treatment planning
• Describes clinical applications of 3D imaging within orthodontics and oral and maxillofacial surgery
• Written by experts who draw on both the available scientific literature and their own translational research findings
• Onur Kadioglu, DDS, MS, is Associate Professor and Director of the Graduate Orthodontic Program at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center – College of Dentistry in the Division of Orthodontics, where he holds the Graduate Orthodontic Alumni Endowed Chair. He earned his DDS from Istanbul University, Dental School, Istanbul, Turkey in 2001. He came to the University of Oklahoma Department of Orthodontics in 2005, where in 2008 he gained his MS and Certificate in Orthodontics. He received the The B.F. and Helen E. Dewel Award from the American Journal of Orthodontics in 2009. He became a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics in 2011 and was inducted to the American College of Dentists in 2016. He received the Outstanding Professorial Achievement Award from the OU College of Dentistry in 2016. Dr. Kadioglu is a past chair of the Section on Orthodontics of the American Dental Education Association. He is a member of the editorial review boards for the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, The Angle Orthodontist and the European Journal of Orthodontics. Currently he is a member of the American Association of Orthodontists’ Council on Scientific Affairs representing the Southwestern Society of Orthodontists. He also serves as the Editor of the Southwestern Society of Orthodontists. He is a Fellow of the Charles H. Tweed International Foundation for Orthodontics Research and Education. He has published numerous articles and chapters in various journals and text books.
• G. Frans Currier, DDS, MSD, MEd, is Professor and Head of the Division of Orthodontics at the University of Oklahoma Health Science Center - College of Dentistry. He is Chair of the Department of Developmental Sciences and David Ross Boyd Professor and also holds the Ram S. Nanda Chair in Orthodontics. Dr. Currier is a member of both the College of Diplomates of American Board of Orthodontics and the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry. He is member of the Pierre Fauchard Academy and a Fellow of the International College of Dentists and the American College of Dentists. In 2011 he received the Martin Dewey Memorial Award from the Southwestern Society of Orthodontists, and in 2013 he received the Dale B. Wade Award of Excellence in Orthodontics from the American Board of Orthodontics. Dr. Currier received the Outstanding Professional Achievement Award from the OU College of Dentistry in 2017. Dr. Currier has long acted as an editorial consultant to the World Journal of Orthodontics, the Journal of American Dental Association, the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, and the Angle Orthodontist. He is a member of the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) Review Committee for Orthodontics for the period 2015-2019. Dr. Currier is the authors of numerous articles in national and international peer-reviewed journals.