1. Introduction to Astigmatism and Corneal Irregularities
2. Introduction to Wavefront Science
3. Optical Physics of Customized Laser Ablation Profiles
4. Topography-Guided and Contoura™ Laser Vision Correction
5. Corneal Wavefront-Guided Ablation
6. Ocular Wavefront-Guided Treatment
7. Custom Manipulation of Corneal Asphericity (The Q Factor)
8. Ray Tracing Profiles
This book addresses customized laser vision correction, an integral management option for the treatment of irregular corneas. This type of treatment reshapes the corneal surface in order to improve both the quality and the quantity of vision by reducing high order aberrations. Beginning with an introduction to the basics of this science, each type of customized laser vision correction is discussed in a clear and didactic format for rapid attainment of information. Throughout this practical clinical guide, examples are supported with the most recent scientific material and a step-by-step systematic methodology is included to fit all levels of ophthalmologists.
• Discusses how to effectively treat patients with irregular corneas presenting with high order aberrations such as halos, shadows, glare and starbursts
• Provides an overview of indications, contraindications, patient selection and visual outcomes relevant to customized laser vision correction
• Focuses on recent developments in customized laser vision correction and excimer laser technology
• Mazen M. Sinjab, MD, MSc, CABO, PhD, FRCO (London) is a Senior Consultant in Cornea, Anterior Segment, Refractive Surgery, Corneal Imaging, and Keratoconus Management. Dr. Sinjab has a very extensive surgical experience, having taken part in tens of thousands of procedures, including Laser Vision Correction and Refractive Surgery, management of Keratoconus, and miscellaneous other procedures. Dr. Sinjab has an extensive educational work, including instructional courses, presentations, teaching videos on his channel (Sinjab Academy) on YouTube, and has published a number of books. Due to his distinguished scientific work, he was honored the FRCO from the Royal College of Ophthalmologists in London in addition to other local and regional awards.
• Arthur B. Cummings, MB.ChB, M.Med, FCS (SA), FRCSEd is the medical director of the Wellington Eye Clinic in Dublin, Ireland and specialises in Cataract & Refractive surgery and Keratoconus. In 1994, Dr. Cummings started doing laser refractive surgery and performed over 30,000 laser vision correction procedures since then. He has been an investigator for Alcon and WaveLight in the area of laser refractive surgery and is a former recipient of the WaveLight Global Ambassador Award for his contribution to refractive surgery worldwide. Dr. Cummings has presented more than 300 presentations at international conferences on the topic of laser refractive surgery and more than 50 instructional courses on the same topic. He reviews for the Journal of Refractive Surgery, the Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, further is Associate Chief Medical Editor of Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today Europe. Dr. Cummings is immediate past-President of the American-European Congress of Ophthalmic Surgery (AECOS).