1. Definition and Changes in Nomenclature of Hepatic Encephalopathy
2. Hepatic Encephalopathy: Pathophysiology—Brain
3. Pathophysiology: Gut Liver Axis Changes
4. Impact and Diagnosis of Minimal or Grade 1 Hepatic Encephalopathy
5. Treatment Options for Covert Hepatic Encephalopathy
6. Latest Concepts in Inpatient Hepatic Encephalopathy Management
7. Prevention of Recurrence of Hepatic Encephalopathy
8. Hepatic Encephalopathy Diagnosis Conundrums
9. Integrating Palliative Principles into Cirrhosis Care: The Effect of Hepatic Encephalopathy
This volume provides a comprehensive, state-of-the-art overview of hepatic encephalopathy. Through a case-based approach, the text reviews new data and studies about the role of microbiota in liver disease and hepatic encephalopathy, explores the burden of hepatic encephalopathy on readmissions, costs, and patient care, and highlights management strategies for patients in differing stages of hepatic encephalopathy. Exploratory new therapies and treatment targets are also discussed in the guide.
Written by experts in the field, Diagnosis and Management of Hepatic Encephalopathy: A Case-based Guide is a valuable resource for physicians and researchers who deal with this challenging complication of cirrhosis.
• Structured in a case-based approach for ease of use
• Highlights exploratory new therapies and treatment targets
• Written by experts in the field
Jasmohan S. Bajaj, MBBS, MD, MS, FAASLD, AGAF, FAASLD, FRCP
Virginia Commonwealth UniversityMcGuire VA Medical CenterDivision of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and NutritionRichmond, VAUSA