Dysphagia and problems related to swallowing are common following treatment for head and neck cancers. Though there are books available on dysphagia management and associated neurological conditions, this is the only atlas that comprehensively discusses dysphagia related to the head and neck cancers. It comprises of 33 chapters divided into five sections. The initial chapters present the anatomy and physiology of swallowing and the pathophysiology of the dysphagia-related structures. It discusses assessment of dysphagia in detail, highlighting clinical and instrumental evaluations. Swallowing dysfunction related to common sub-site cancers and chemo-radiotherapy related dysphagia are explored individually. The book addresses direct and indirect swallowing therapy methods involving postures and exercises in a detailed yet simple manner to enable them to be incorporated in routine practice. It also covers topics like nutritional management, alternative feeding methods and unique problems associated with tracheostomy that have a great bearing on the day-to-day management of patients with dysphagia. The current status of the research and evidence- based management updates are also included. Additionally, where appropriate videos are included for a better understanding of the subject.
Written and edited by experts in the field, the book is intended for clinicians treating head and neck cancer, head and neck surgeons, radiation oncologists, speech and swallowing therapy specialists and trainees in these fields
• Comprehensive guide for the management of swallowing problems related to head and neck cancer
• Video atlas covering all the clinical and swallowing therapy management of dysphagia
• Unique book for dysphagia management specific to head and neck cancer
• Written by experts in the field
• Krishnakumar Thankappan is a professor at the Department of Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi, India. He completed his basic training in Otolaryngology at BJ Medical College, Pune, his MCh in Head and Neck Surgical Oncology at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi and his advanced fellowship in Head and Neck Oncology at Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, USA. He is the recipient of the Young Investigator Award, from the Indian Co-operative Oncology network, and has published numerous papers in international journals. He serves as a reviewer for several international journals and is the Regional Editor Asia Pacific for the Journal of Cranio-Maxillary Trauma and Reconstruction. Has written a book titled Basic Concepts in Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology.
• Jayakumar R Menon is a consultant laryngologist at Kerala Institute of Medical Sciences, and Thiruvananthapuram Dysphagia Clinic, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi. He trained in laryngology under John D Russell in Dublin, Ireland. He is the founder Vice President & Past President of the Association of Phonosurgeons of India. He has given lectures, orations & keynote addresses in laryngology at numerous state, national & international conferences. He has been an invited speaker at numerous international conferences including the last two World Voice Congresses and the World ENT Congress 2013 & 2017. He has contributed chapters in four international textbooks and published several papers in national & international journals. He has also described a clinical sign to diagnose abductor spasmodic dysphonia.
• Subramania Iyer, graduated from the Medical College Kottayam in 1979, before completing his higher surgical training in Head and Neck Surgery and Plastic surgery from AIIMS New Delhi, Medical college Calicut and various centers in the United Kingdom. He did a fellowship in Craniofacial Surgery at Mexico City, UICC in Laryngeal Cancer Surgery at Center Oscar Lambrette, Lille and in Tissue Engineering at Rice University, Houston. Currently, he is a professor and head of the Division of Reconstructive surgery and Head and Neck Surgery /Oncology at the Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences Kochi. Dr. Iyer is the past president of the Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology of India, secretary of the Indian society of Microsurgery, president of the Head and Neck Co-Operative research group, member of the executive council of the Association of Plastic surgeons of India and president of the Eurasian Association of Head and Neck Oncology. He has written several international publications and serves as a reviewer for many respected journals in the field of otolaryngology and plastic surgery.