The first book covering anesthesia in equine patients with pre-existing diseases or conditions
Equine Anesthesia and Co-Existing Disease offers practical guidance on anesthetizing horses with pre-existing diseases or other unique conditions. Filling a significant gap in available literature, this authoritative reference is the ideal companion to existing publications on basic management principles, equipment, and complications in equine anesthesia. Detailed chapters, co-authored by anesthesiologists and other allied specialists, offer a body-system approach to anesthesia considerations in horses presenting with a variety of disease conditions.
Each chapter contains foundational knowledge such as pathophysiology or diagnostic techniques, clinical images, practical information for pharmacologic selection, and technical requirements for completion of procedures. The text covers equine anesthesia management relevant to respiratory, neuromuscular, and gastrointestinal diseases, cardiac and orthopedic procedures, diagnostic imaging and unique therapies, and more. Designed to allow quick and easy reference to vital information, this valuable clinical resource:
• Provides complete coverage of anesthetic management of horses with existing conditions or diseases
• Describes how pre-existing conditions can affect anesthesia in equine patients
• Includes coverage of accident and error management, induction, and recovery
• Discusses how anesthesia management differs in feral or non-domesticated and domesticated equids including donkeys and mules
Equine Anesthesia and Co-Existing Disease is a must-have reference and clinical guide for everyone involved in the anesthetization of equine patients, including equine general practitioners, anesthesiologists, specialists in related areas, residents in veterinary anesthesiology, and equine anesthesia technicians.
• Stuart Clark-Price, DVM, MS, DACVIM-LA, DACVAA, is Associate Professor of Anesthesia, Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn University, USA.
• Khursheed Mama, DVM, DACVAA, is Professor of Veterinary Anesthesiology, Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, USA.