RUDOLF, M.; LUDER, A.; JEAVONS, K.
Preface to the fourth edition and acknowledgements vii
How to get the best out of your textbook viii
Introduction Doing well in paediatrics
• Part 1: About children
Chapter 1 Nature and nurture 3
Chapter 2 Health care and child health promotion 18
Chapter 3 Children with long-term medical conditions 35
• Part 2: A paediatric tool kit
Chapter 4 Communicating with children, their families and colleagues
Chapter 5 History taking and clinical examination 51
Chapter 6 Developmental assessment 83
Chapter 7 Investigations and their interpretation 90
Chapter 8 Prescribing for children
• Part 3: An approach to problem-based paediatrics
Chapter 9 The febrile child 107
Chapter 10 Respiratory disorders 132
Chapter 11 Gastrointestinal disorders 157
Chapter 12 Cardiac disorders 191
Chapter 13 Neurological disorders 202
Chapter 14 Development and neurodisability 225
Chapter 15 Growth, endocrine and metabolic disorders 252
Chapter 16 Musculoskeletal disorders 283
Chapter 17 Renal and urinary tract disorders 295
Chapter 18 Genitalia 311
Chapter 19 Dermatology and rashes 318
Chapter 20 Haematological disorders 342
Chapter 21 Emotional and behavioural problems 352
Chapter 22 Social paediatrics 362
Chapter 23 Emergency paediatrics 369
Chapter 24 The newborn 399
Chapter 25 Adolescence and puberty 433
• Part 4: Testing your knowledge
Chapter 26 Practice examination questions 452
Essential Paediatrics and Child Health is a comprehensive and practical guide to paediatric disorders as they present to the student and practitioner, offering step-by-step guidance on symptom assessment, history taking, physical examination, investigation and diagnosis, management and treatment, patient education, follow-up and prognosis. With full-colour images and a range of unique and innovative learning features, this completely revised new edition of the award-winning book Paediatrics and Child Health will prove an invaluable resource for medical students and junior doctors on their journey through contemporary paediatrics.
• Organises paediatric disorders into system-based chapters for easy navigation, with symptom-based and integrative discussions of all the important diseases and disabilities in paediatrics
• Combines up-to-date descriptions of the latest in basic and clinical science with the core competencies expected of students in paediatric rotations
• Self-directed learning is made easy by means of navigation diagrams, tables, key-point and "at-a-glance" boxes, links to guidelines and other summary aids
• Sections on student experience, self-assessment, doing well in paediatric clinical placements and preparing for examinations and OSCEs
• Includes a completely new introduction with perspectives on the nature of paediatrics and how best to become engaged and immersed within it, and new content on communication, national guidelines, imaging techniques, genetics and epigenetics, prescribing for children toxicology, the latest advances in diagnosing and treating disease, and much more
• Provides a companion website containing physical examination instruction videos, a complete set of interactive patient scenarios and multiple-choice questions
Essential Paediatrics and Child Health is the ideal companion for medical students and junior doctors to succeed in their studies and clinical practice.
• Professor Mary Rudolf is Head of the Department of Population Health, Azrieli Faculty of Medicine, Bar Ilan University, Safed, Israel, and Visiting Professor of Child Health, University of Leeds, UK.
• Professor Anthony Luder is Director of the Department of Paediatrics at Ziv Medical Centre and Special Projects Advisor, Azrieli Faculty of Medicine, Bar Ilan University, Safed, Israel.
• Dr Kerry Jeavons is Consultant in Paediatric Medicine, Leeds Teaching Hospitals, Yorkshire, UK.