1. Surgical Anatomy of Carotid and Vertebral Arteries
2. Physiology of the Cerebrovascular System
3. Pathology of the Extracranial Carotid and Vertebral Arteries
4. History of Carotid Artery Surgery
5. History of Vertebral Artery Surgery
6. Noninvasive Vascular Lab Testing for Carotids, Vertebrals, and Transcranial Doppler
7. Cerebrovascular Imaging (CT, MRI, CTA, MRA)
8. Carotid and Vertebral Arteriography
9. Medical Therapy for Carotid and Vertebral Artery Stenosis
10. Carotid Endarterectomy
11. Carotid Endarterectomy for High Plaque
12. Eversion Carotid Endarterectomy: Indications, Techniques, Pitfalls, and Complications
13. Natural History and Contemporary Management of Recurrent Carotid Stenosis
14. Carotid Interposition Grafting
15. Current Status of Carotid Endarterectomy and Carotid Stenting
16. Technical Aspects of Carotid Artery Stenting
17. Reconstruction for Occlusive Lesions of Aortic Arch Branches
18. Vertebral Artery Reconstruction
19. Fibromuscular Dysplasia, Carotid Kinks, and Other Rare Lesions
20. Cervical (Carotid and Vertebral) Artery Dissection
21. Carotid Body Tumors
22. Extracranial Carotid and Vertebral Artery Aneurysms
23. Extracranial Cerebrovascular Trauma
24. Stroke Rehabilitation
Management of carotid and vertebral artery disease has undergone tremendous strides since the introduction of thin section CT angiography and neurointerventions. These minimally invasive techniques continue to evolve allowing great advantages for patients. In this book we will focus on both endovascular (minimally invasive) and open arterial reconstructions as both types of procedures are still very much part of routine practice in managing extracranial carotid and vertebral artery disease.
This text is designed to be a comprehensive and state-of-the art approach in managing straight forward to complex arterial reconstructions. Sections will focus on carotid/vertebral anatomy, physiology, diagnostic modalities. Subsequent chapters will focus on specific disease processes and their management with best medical therapy neurointerventions (carotid artery stenting) and open reconstructions like carotid endarterectomy and arterial reconstructions for vertebral artery disease. In addition, management of extracranial carotid artery aneurysms, carotid body tumors and carotid trauma will be covered in detail. Modern techniques in rehabilitation practice for stroke patients will also be addressed. The authors will be recognized experts in their field, whether an acknowledged academic leader or a well respected community based surgeon.
Each chapter dealing with clinical pathology will address patient selection, preoperative considerations, technical steps for operation and emphasis on avoiding complications. Management of common complications related to each procedure will be outlined in a step-wise fashion. Pertinent case illustrations will be described in short at the end of the chapter. Figures and illustrations will help the reader in grasping the technique of a particular procedure.
• Provides comprehensive and state of the art approach to manage Extracranial Carotid and Vertebral Artery Disease .
• Richly illustrated with figures and illustrations
• Written by experts in the field
Sachinder Singh Hans MD, MS, FRCS(c) FACS. Medical Director, Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. Henry Ford Macomb. Hospital Clinton Twp MI. Chief Vascular Surgery. St John Macomb Hospital, Warren, MI. Clinical Assistant Professor Of Surgery. Wayne State University School Of Medicine Detroit, MI. 28411 Hoover . Warren, MI 48093