1. The History of Deep Brain Stimulation
2. Anatomy of Targets for Deep Brain Stimulation
3. Mechanisms of Deep Brain Stimulation
4. Surgical and Technical Aspects of Deep Brain Stimulation
5. Future Perspectives: Adaptive Deep Brain Stimulation
6. Neurophysiology of the Basal Ganglia and Deep Brain Stimulation
7. Anaesthesia for Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery
8. Programming: General Aspects
9. Neuropsychological Assessment
10. Ethical Considerations
11. Organization of Care for Patients Treated by Deep Brain Stimulation
12. Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease
16. Gilles de la Tourette Syndrome
17. Deep Brain Stimulation in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
18. Deep Brain Stimulation for Depression
19. Other Indications for Deep Brain Stimulation
This book provides a state-of-the-art overview of our current understanding of deep brain stimulation (DBS) for the treatment of neurological and psychiatric disorders. With a broad multidisciplinary scope, it presents contributions from leading experts in the field from Europe and America, who share not only their knowledge, but their experience as well. The book focuses both on basic and theoretical aspects of DBS, as well as clinical and practical aspects. It follows an evidence-based approach, and where possible offers clinical recommendations based on published guidelines.
It starts with a general section, which discusses basic principles and general considerations. This is followed a sections dedicated to neurological disorders, and psychiatric disorders, in which only accepted indications are discussed. All experimental indications are discussed in the final chapter. The text is supplemented with numerous illustrations.
Intended for medical specialists and residents involved in the treatment of patients with DBS, it also appeals to other professionals working with DBS patients, such as psychologists, nurses, physiotherapists, as well as basic and clinical neuroscientists.
• Presents a broad multidisciplinary approach to deep brain stimulation
• Focuses on different aspects of deep brain stimulation including surgical, neurological, psychiatric, psychosocial, socio-economic, clinical and ethical issues
• Includes a range of illustrations and tables to support the texts