List of contributors vii
About the companion website xvii
How to use your textbook xixChapter 1 The cell and body tissue 1
Chapter 2 Genetics 27
Chapter 3 Cancer 51
Chapter 4 Homeostasis 67
Chapter 5 Inflammation, immune response and healing 83
Chapter 6 Shock 115
Chapter 7 Pain and pain management 133
Chapter 8 Disorders of the nervous system 159
Chapter 9 Disorders of the cardiac system 179
Chapter 10 Disorders of the respiratory system 213
Chapter 11 Disorders of the endocrine system 233
Chapter 12 Disorders of the digestive system 257
Chapter 13 Disorders of the renal system 279
Chapter 14 Disorders of the reproductive systems 311
Chapter 15 Disorders of the musculoskeletal system 335
Chapter 16 Disorders of the skin 359
Fundamentals of Children’s Applied Pathophysiology introduces nursing and healthcare students to the pathophysiology of the child, and offers an applied full-colour visual approach throughout. Explaining the anatomy of the human body, and the effects of disease or illness on normal physiology, it enables the reader to develop the understanding, knowledge, and skills required to know how to respond and provide safe and effective high-quality care to children and their families.
• Written by an experienced author team
• Filled with superb full-colour illustrations
• Packed with learning features, including key words, test-your-knowledge, exercises, further reading, and learning outcomes
• Includes case studies to help readers understand how to apply the knowledge in clinical practice
• Contains links to clinical observations, vital signs to look out for, investigations boxes, red flags to indicate essential information to be aware of when providing care, and medication alerts
Fundamentals of Children's Applied Pathophysiology is an ideal book for pre-registration nursing students, including child and adult nurses, as well as for all healthcare professionals who come into contact with children and their families.
• ELIZABETH GORMLEY-FLEMING is Head of Department for Nursing (Children's, Learning Disability and Mental Health) and Social Work, University of Hertfordshire, UK.
• IAN PEATE OBE FRCN is Visiting Professor of Nursing, Editor-in-Chief of the British Journal of Nursing, and Head of School, School of Health Studies, Gibraltar.