Part I: Drugs
2. Pharmacology of Local Anesthetics
3. Pharmacology of Vasoconstrictors
4. Clinical Action of Specific Agents
Part II: The Armamentarium
5. The Syringe
6. The Needle
7. The Cartridge
8. Additional Armamentarium
9. Preparation of the Armamentarium
Part III: Techniques of Regional Anesthesia in Dentistry
10. Physical and Psychological Evaluation
11. Basic Injection Technique
12. Anatomical Considerations
13. Techniques of Maxillary Anesthesia
14. Techniques of Mandibular Anesthesia
15. Supplemental Injection Techniques
16. Local Anesthetic Considerations in Dental Specialties
Part IV: Complications, Legal Considerations, Questions, and The Future
17. Local Complications
18. Systemic Complications
19. Problems in Achieving Pain Control
20. Recent Advances in Local Anesthesia
21. Future Trends in Pain Control
22. Frequently Asked Questions
23. Legal Considerations
Learn to prevent, recognize, and manage complications of local anesthesia administration. Written by Dr. Stanley Malamed, the leading expert on anesthesia in dentistry, the Handbook of Local Anesthesia, 7th Edition covers all the latest advances in science, instrumentation, and pain control techniques. From basic concepts to specific injection techniques, from dosage charts to the proper care and handling of equipment, this how-to guide provides in-depth, full-color coverage of key anesthesia topics, including specific hazards and errors in technique that may result in complications. Recognized as THE local anesthesia textbook in dentistry for over 30 years, the seventh edition has been thoroughly updated with the latest in safe anesthesia practices in dentistry.
New To This Edition:
• NEW! Updated and enhanced content throughout reflects latest research evidence.
• NEW! Two added chapters cover problems in achieving pain control and their solutions; and recent advances in local anesthesia.
• NEW! Addition of an Expert Consult Site allows you to search the entire book electronically.
Stanley F. Malamed, DDS, Professor and Chair, Section of Anesthesia and Medicine, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA