1. Incidence and Prevalence of Heart Failure in Adults with Congenital Heart Disease
2. Pathophysiology and Causes of Heart Failure in Adult Congenital Heart Disease
3. Definition and Diagnosis of Heart Failure in Adult Congenital Heart Disease
4. Risk Stratification and Prognosis
6. The Palliated Univentricular Heart
7. Systemic Right Ventricle
8. Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
9. Acute Heart Failure in Adult Patients with Congenital Heart Disease
10. Role of Intervention and Surgery
11. Drug Therapy in Adult Congenital Heart Disease Heart Failure
12. Arrhythmia and Devices
13. Transplantation and Mechanical Circulatory Support in Adult Congenital Heart Disease-Related Advanced Heart Failure
14. Holistic Care and Palliation
15. Future Research
This book sheds new light on the diagnosis and treatment of Heart Failure in adult patients with congenital heart disease. This is a rapidly growing clinical issue for this group of patients and the clinical teams caring for them. The book highlights the major clinical dilemmas in diagnosing heart failure in patients with a lifelong cardiac condition and describes in details the utility of biomarkers, complex imaging and functional tests, e.g. the cardiopulmonary exercise testing. A step-wise approach to treatment is described from drug therapy through to devices and transplantation. As such, the book offers an essential guide for cardiologists and cardiac surgeons looking to optimize the management of patients with delicate physiology and complex disease.
• Focuses on providing optimal care for a rapidly growing population of patients
• Provides new treatment algorithms in a field with little evidence basis
• A clinical reference book that fills important gaps in the ESC guidelines
• Lorna Swan is the Clinical Lead for Adult Congenital Heart Disease (ACHD) at the Royal Brompton Hospital, London – one of the oldest and largest units in the world. Lorna trained in Glasgow, London and Toronto. Her previous roles have included being a council member of the British Congenital Cardiac Association and a nucleus member of the ESC GUCH Working Group. Her main interests include Pregnancy and Heart Disease and ACHD Heart Failure.
• Alexandra Frogoudaki runs the Adult Congenital Heart Disease Service at the University General Hospital ATTIKON in Athens. Prior to that she trained in Greece and London. She was the previous elected president of the Greek working group on ACHD and is currently the national coordinator of the ESC pregnancy register. Dr. Frogoudaki is the senior author of the ESC Heart Failure -ACHD position paper published in 2016.