Approaching high-volume spay and neuter as a separate discipline, this comprehensive reference addresses the unique challenges of this branch of shelter medicine. You will learn how to become faster at performing these procedures in a variety of settings, while still maintaining the safety of the patient. Safety is emphasized throughout with guidance on how to best treat patients with unknown medical histories and financial constraints that restrict the ability to do pre-anesthetic blood work. Special attention is given to considerations about surgical technique, as well as topics such as suture selection and size, suture pattern, patient order, medications, and aftercare. Coverage of mobile veterinary services examines how to provide low-cost spay and neuter to underserved communities with this emerging trend in the industry.
• Comprehensive coverage examines the "hows" and "whys" of the mechanics of high-volume spay/neuter, as well as how to manage complications that can occur.
• Written by Victoria Valdez, an experienced veterinarian who has performed more than 40,000 spays and neuters.
• Information on how to set up both a mobile and a stationary suite offers guidance for providing low-cost spay and neuter services in a variety of settings.
• Easy-to-read reference manual format ensures each chapter includes all pertinent information on a topic, eliminating the need to cross-reference throughout the book.
• Enhanced eBook on Expert Consult offers a fully searchable version of the text.