• How Infectious Diseases Have Influenced our Culture
• Evolution and Globalization of Antimicrobial Resistance
• Emergency Triage of Highly Infectious Diseases and Bioterrorism
• Diagnostics: The Role of the Laboratory
• Influenza, Measles, SARS, MERS, and Smallpox
• Zoonotic Infections and Biowarfare Agents in Critical Care: Anthrax, Plague, and Tularemia
• Hemorrhagic Fevers
• Multidrug Resistance Bacterial Infection
• Central Nervous System Infection
• Intracranial Pressure Monitoring and Management in Bacterial Meningitis
• Tuberculosis Multidrug Resistance (MDR-TB)
• Preparing the ICU for a Highly Infectious Disease
• Pandemic Declaration and Preparation.
This book provides a comprehensive overview of highly infectious diseases (HIDs) in the ICU. The text is designed to help critical care specialists and other healthcare practitioners prepare and plan for potential outbreaks of emerging or resurgent HIDs, lead a team in the ICU, perform emergency triage, and provide care for patients with a HID. The book also reviews some of the most prevalent highly infectious diseases, including influenza, SARS, plague, anthrax, and malaria.
Written by experts in the field, Highly Infectious Diseases in Critical Care: A Comprehensive Clinical Guide is a valuable resource for critical care and infectious disease specialists who treat patients afflicted with a highly infectious disease in the ICU.
• Provides a framework on how to prepare and plan for potential outbreaks of emerging or resurgent highly infectious diseases
• Profiles some of the most prevalent highly infectious diseases
• Written by experts in the field