1 Cells and Organs of the Immune System 1
2 Oral Immune System 13
3 Mechanisms of Immune Responses 26
4 Immune Responses in Wound Healing of Oral Tissues 39
5 Stem Cell Immunology 48
6 Trace Elements in Oral Immunology 61
7 Oral Microbiome and Oral Cancer 79
8 Oral Microbiome and Periodontitis 100
9 Periodontitis and Systemic Diseases 114
10 Immunology of Tooth Movement and Root Resorption in Orthodontics 134
11 Sex Hormone Modulation in Periodontal Inflammation and Healing 156
12 Dental Alloy- associated Innate Immune Response 165
13 Inflammation and Immune Response in Arthrogenous Temporomandibular Disorders 187
14 Prospects of Passive Immunotherapy to Treat Pulpal Inflammation 202
15 Techniques in Immunology 215
16 Control Selection and Statistical Analyses in Immunological Research 239
Immunology for Dentistry
Understand the fundamentals of oral immunology with this accessible reference
Immunology for Dentistry fulfils the need for a comprehensive overview of oral immunology and its key aspects for dental medicine. Its broad-based and accessible coverage introduces readers to all essential elements of oral immunology, from mechanisms of the immune system through to specific diseases and pathogens and their interactions with the immune system. This thorough text will provide an understanding of the link between the oral immune system and oral microbiome as contributors to oral health.
Readers will also find:
• A thorough introduction to the basic principles of immunology and immune response
• Detailed coverage of subjects including stem cell immunology, periodontitis, hormone modulation in periodontal inflammation and more
• Color diagrams demonstrating key concepts
Authored by a team of international experts, Immunology for Dentistry provides a valuable approach to the fundamental and clinical aspects of immunology. It is a useful reference for dental students, teachers, and researchers, and will also be of interest to practicing dentists and specialists.
• Mohammad Tariqur Rahman, PhD, is Professor and Associate Dean (Continuing Education) in the Faculty of Dentistry at the University of Malaya in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. He was also the founding President of the Malaysian Society of Oral Microbiology and Oral Immunology.
• Wim Teughels, PhD, is Professor of Periodontology and Oral Microbiology at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium.
• Richard J. Lamont, PhD, is Professor and Chair of the Department of Oral Immunology and Infectious Diseases at the University of Louisville in the USA.