Basic Science of Infection Control: A History of Infection Control in Medicine and Dentistry
The Microbiology and Pathology of Infection Control in Dentistry
Regualtions and Guidance in Infection Control
Personal Protective Equipment in Dentistry
Immunisation and Infection Control in the Dental Practice
The Infected Oral Healthcare Worker. Decontamination in Dentistry: The Concept of Decontamination in Dentistry
Cleaning Methods of Dental Instruments
Sterilisation in Dentistry
Local Decontamination Units in the Dental Practice
How to Choose Clinical Dental Equipment
Dental Disinfection and Environmental Decontamination
Considertions for Dental Unit Water Lines.
This book is an easy-to-use guide to all aspects of infection control and decontamination that will support the implementation of effective measures for risk reduction in dental practice. Among the topics addressed are the principles and practicalities of cleaning and sterilizing dental instruments, the role of personal protective equipment, the design and use of decontamination rooms, choice of dental equipment, environmental disinfection, and considerations relating to dental unit water lines. In addition, readers will find an informative and helpful section on the background history and basic science of infection control within dentistry. Infection Control in Primary Dental Care will be very useful for all members of the dental team, including dentists, dental nurses or assistants, dental hygienists, and therapists. The book is illustrated with photographs, diagrams, and tables to aid understanding and encourage good practice. The authors have a background in microbiology and dental practice and have extensive experience of providing advice and guidance to professional colleagues on infection control procedures.
• Offers clear guidance on every facet of infection control and decontamination
• Covers important aspects of the relevant basic science
• Meets the needs of all members of the dental team
• Martin R. Fulford, BDS, MPhil, DGDP (UK), FIBMS, has been until recently Professional Lead – Dentistry for NHS England South, South West, having previously served in a similar capacity for Somerset Primary Health Care Trusts (2007–13). He has extensive clinical experience: he was a principal in general dental practice at a family-oriented NHS dental practice from 1989 to 2004, and during this period also worked as a Clinical Assistant in the Department of Orthodontics at Royal United Hospital, Bath (1994–2004). He has been a Special Lecturer in the Dental Postgraduate Department, University of Bristol since 2003. Dr. Fulford has held various positions of responsibility as well as diverse posts within the British Dental Association (BDA), the latter including membership of the BDA Health and Science, Education and Standards, and Ethics Committees. He is the author of almost 20 peer-reviewed journal articles in the field of dental infection control. Prior to his career in dentistry he worked for 13 years in medical microbiology.
• Nikolai R. Stankiewicz, BDSc, MFDGP (UK), DPDS (Bristol), MSc, graduated from The University of Melbourne in 1996. After working in private and public dental practice in Melbourne, he moved to the United Kingdom, where he gained his subsequent qualifications. From 1999 to 2008 he worked at an NHS dental practice in Bath and then moved to Bramcote Dental Practice, Castle Cary, Somerset, of which he is the owner. He has a particular interest in dental research and has authored several papers in peer-reviewed journals within the field of restorative dentistry and infection control. In 2017 he received an award as The Kaplan Open Learning Top Postgraduate Health Graduate for his MSc on infection control.