This book provides an in-depth overview of the aetiology, treatment and prevention of infections following knee arthroplasty. It presents up-to-date information on available techniques and salvage procedures for complex patients with infected, total knee arthroplasty.
Divided into 5 sections, this book explores biomaterials, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, treatment and prevention, including preoperative optimisation, in order to reduce knee infections.
This book is a valuable reference resource for practicing orthopaedic surgeons, residents, and medical students wishing to understand the fundamental concepts in infectious disease medicine needed in current orthopaedic practice.
• Provides a detailed overview of prevention, diagnosis and treatment of infection following total knee arthroplasty
• Presents up-to-date information on available techniques and salvage procedures for complex patients
• Offers in-depth guidance on preoperative optimisation and prevention
• Umile Giuseppe LONGO is an Associate Professor and Consultant in Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery at the University Campus Bio-Medico of Rome. He is member of the editorial board of high-impact journals in the field of sports medicine and orthopedics, and editor of the Orthopedics and Biomechanics section of BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. He is author of more than 300 peer-reviewed papers and co-author of more than 80 chapters published in international books. He has been the recipient of several prestigious national and international awards. His research interests include shoulder traumatology and replacement.
• Nicolaas C. Budhiparama is the Founder & Chairman of the Nicolaas Institute of Constructive Orthopaedic Research & Education Foundation for Arthroplasty & Sports Medicine. A member of numerous international & Indonesian professional bodies, he is currently the President of ASIA, APAS & APKS and Past President and Founding Chairman of the IHKS. He is also a faculty member at various prestigious universities and is a reviewer or a member of the editorial board of several high-impact journals.
• Sébastien Lustig completed his orthopaedic training in Lyon, where he began his career at the Albert Trillat Center in 2006 with his mentor, Professor Philippe Neyret. He specialises in disorders of the hip and knee joint, and was made a Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Lyon in 2014. Prof. Lustig’s currently focuses on hip and knee joint replacement, and he has a special interest in rapid recovery, robotic assisted surgery, and revision surgery.
• Roland Becker specialises in arthroscopic and open knee surgery and knee and hip endoprosthetics. In 1995 he completed his Ph.D. med. at the Orthopaedic Clinic at Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg on the influence of naloxone on nociceptive functions in patients with arthrotic diseases. Since 2011, he has been an Associate Professor at the "Otto von Guericke University" Magdeburg.
• João Duarte Coelho do Sameiro Espregueira-Mendes specialised in sports orthopaedics, traumatology and knee surgery. During his career, he has been engaged in scientific research, university teaching, leadership of both national and international scientific societies and in clinical practice as Clinical Director of the Clinica do Dragão, Espregueira-Mendes Sports Centre – FIFA Medical Centre of Excellence. He was President of the ESSKA and of the ESSKA Foundation in 2012-2014.