Gain the skills you need to provide safe and effective psychiatric nursing care! Keltner’s Psychiatric Nursing, 9th Edition provides a solid foundation in the knowledge required to manage and care for patients with psychiatric disorders. It features a unique, three-pronged approach to psychotherapeutic management emphasizing the nurse’s three primary tools: themselves and their relationship with patients, medications, and the therapeutic environment. New to this edition are Next Generation NCLEX® exam-style case studies to help you learn clinical judgment and prepare for success on the NCLEX. Known for its clear and friendly writing style, this text covers psychiatric nursing like no other book on the market.
• UNIQUE! Practical, three-pronged approach to psychotherapeutic management includes: 1) the therapeutic nurse-patient relationship, 2) psychopharmacology, and 3) milieu management.
• UNIQUE! Norm’s Notes offer personal, helpful tips from Norman Keltner — an expert educator and the book’s erstwhile author — in each chapter.
• UNIQUE! Putting It All Together summaries are provided at the end of each psychopathology chapter.
• DSM-5 information is integrated throughout the text, along with new ICNP content.
• Nursing care plans highlight the nurse’s role in psychiatric care, emphasizing assessment, planning, nursing diagnoses, implementation, and evaluation for specific disorders.
• Case studies depict psychiatric disorders and show the development of effective nursing care strategies.
• Critical thinking questions help you develop clinical reasoning skills.
• Family Issues boxes highlight the issues that families must confront when a member suffers from mental illness.
• Patient and Family Education boxes highlight information that the nurse should provide to patients and families.
• Learning resources on the Evolve website include lecture slides, psychotropic drug monographs, and NCLEX® exam-style review questions.
New To This Edition:
• NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) examination-style case studies and NGN item types are included for five of the major mental health disorders, allowing you to apply clinical judgment skills.
• NEW! Updated Clinical Examples discuss real-world situations relating to mental health.
• NEW! COVID-19 resources and research includes information relevant to psychiatric nursing care.
• NEW! International Classification for Nursing Practice (ICNP) nursing diagnoses, from the International Council of Nurses, include straightforward, evidence-based terminology that is easily translatable across settings and disciplines.