This classic textbook aims to assist clinicians develop the consultation skills required to elicit a clear history, and the practical skills needed to detect clinical signs of disease. Where possible, the physical basis of clinical signs is explained to aid understanding. Formulation of a differential diagnosis from the information gained is introduced, and the logical initial investigations are included for each system.
• The first part of the book addresses the general principles of good interaction with patients, from the basics of taking a history and examining, to the use of pattern recognition to identify spot diagnoses.
• The second part documents the relevant history, examination and investigations for all the major body systems.
• The third part illustrates the application of these skills to specific clinical situations.
• The final part covers preparation for assessments of clinical skills and the use of these skills in everyday practice.
• The book has accompanying videos demonstrating many of the key clinical examination routines as set out in the book.
New To This Edition:
• A new editorial team has undertaken a substantial review of the book’s contents and with the help of many new authors has radically revised the order and approach of the text.
• Several new chapters have been created including a chapter on patients with mental disorders; a chapter covering the approach to a deteriorating patient; a chapter on assessment of patients towards the end of life and two new chapters on applying the key clinical skills during assessments and in practice.
• The structure of the text has been rationalised with careful use of boxes, tables and figures to set out the concepts for maximum clarity.
• J. Alastair Innes, BSc PhD FRCP Ed, Consultant Physician, Respiratory Unit, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh; Honorary Reader in Respiratory Medicine, University of Edinburgh, UK.
• Anna R Dover, PhD FRCP(Ed), Consultant in Diabetes, Endocrinology and General Medicine, Edinburgh Centre for Endocrinology and Diabetes, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh; Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Edinburgh, UK.
• Karen Fairhurst, PhD FRCGP, General Practice Principal, Mackenzie Medical Centre, Edinburgh; Clinical Senior Lecturer, Centre for Population Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh, UK.