1 Cannabis: An Introduction, 1
2 The History of Cannabis, 20
3 The Classification of Cannabis, 52
4 Constituents of Cannabis, 63
5 U.S. Cannabis Regulations From Past
to Present, 120
6 The Endocannabinoid System, 166
7 The Pharmacology of Cannabis, 186
8 The Pharmacodynamics of Cannabis, 264
9 Commonly Encountered Preparations, 287
10 Endocrinology, 308
11 Oncology, 311
12 Gastroenterology, 318
13 Neurology, 323
14 Psychiatry, 335
15 Gynecology, 343
16 Rheumatology, 347
17 Internal Medicine/Primary Care, 352
18 Ophthalmology, 363
19 Hepatology, 367
20 Dermatology, 372
21 Cannabis Use Disorder, 378
22 Adverse Effects, 383
Table of ContentsAppendix A Glossary, 401
Appendix B Current Regulations as of Early 2020, 406
Written by experienced clinicians for practicing physicians and other health care providers, this timely handbook presents today’s available information on cannabis and its uses in all areas of patient care. Medical Marijuana: A Clinical Handbook summarizes what is currently known about the positive and negative health impacts of cannabis, detailed pharmacological profiles of both THC and CBD, considerations for each medical specialty, treatment approaches used by practicing clinicians, and insights into the history of cannabis and the current regulatory environment in the United States. This concise, easy-to-navigate guide is an invaluable resource for physicians and residents, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, and other clinicians who seek reliable clinical guidelines in this growing area of health care.
• Organizes content by subspecialty, with chapters covering approved uses, side effects, interactions, potential benefits, and more.
• Includes information on historical and cultural perspectives, current state of legalization in the U.S., cannabis chemical constituents, best practices for clinical use, and products currently available in legal cannabis dispensaries.
• Provides current available evidence in addition to anecdotal findings of experienced prescribers.
• Offers authoritative coverage from well-respected and trustworthy sources, providing an invaluable guide for expert recommendations and informed patient care.
A companion website will offer clinicians additional and up-to-date information about cannabis. This will include new insights gleaned from studies published since the completion of the book, as well as updated information concerning state and federal regulations that affect cannabis. The website will be an invaluable resource for clinicians who want to stay abreast of the rapidly evolving regulatory environment surrounding cannabis and remain informed about the latest findings in the field of cannabinoid research.
Enrich Your Ebook Reading Experience
• Read directly on your preferred device(s),such as computer, tablet, or smartphone.
• Easily convert to audiobook,powering your content with natural language text-to-speech.