• Author’s note
• The enduring truths de?ning osteopathy
• From ether to consciousness: the energetics of the lesion
• ‘Reality’, uncertainty and alchemy in practice / Osteopaths’ ‘structure and function’: what are they really? A matrix of function
• Mind: intention, visualisation and projection; the clinical art / Coherence is all: patterns and holograms and broadening the concept of holism
• The ‘osteopathic lesion’, then and now
• ‘Psychosomatic’: are psyche and soma so different? Returning the mind to the body where it ‘resides’
• ‘Hearing’ the patient, brokering health
• Square pegs in round holes: the folly of misguided scrutiny
• Survival: a bold future … ?
This book is an adventurous foray into the subtle aspects of osteopathic diagnosis and treatment, the ‘energetic’ dimension in relation to the Lesion, the patient/practitioner exchange and touch; the clinical ‘art’ and the alchemy of practice. The role of visualisation and intention; the mind/matter dichotomy; the evolving view of osteopathy in relation to its proud legacy, and its often troubled place within the medical world. The vital balance between tradition and innovation and the enduring importance of our fundamental principles. Much of this book is relevant to other healthcare practices and might have appeal for other health professionals who also share some interest in osteopathy.