1. Molecules, Cells, and Model Organisms
2. Chemical Foundations
3. Protein Structure and Function
4. Culturing and Visualizing Cells
5. Fundamental Molecular Genetic Mechanisms
6. Molecular Genetic Techniques
7. Genes and Genomics
8. Transcriptional Control of Gene Expression
9. Post-Transcriptional Gene Control
10. Biomembrane Structure
11. Transmembrane Transport of Ions and Small Molecules
12. Cellular Energetics
13. Moving Proteins into Membranes and Organelles
14. Vesicular Traffic, Secretion, and Endocytosis
15. Cell Signaling I
16. Growth Factor and Cytokine Signaling
17. Cell Organization and Movement I
18. Cell Organization and Movement II
19. The Eukaryotic Cell Cycle
20. Integrating Cells into Tissues
21. Responding to the Cellular Environment Stem Cells, Cell Asymmetry, and Cell Death
22. Nerve Cells
Available for the first time with Macmillan's new online learning tool, Achieve, Molecular Cell Biology remains the most authoritative and cutting-edge resource available for the cell biology course. The author team, consisting of world-class researchers and teachers, incorporates medically relevant examples where appropriate to help illustrate the connections between cell biology and health and human disease. Emphasis on experimental techniques that drive advances in biomedical sciences and introduce students to cutting edge research teach students the skills they need for their careers.
Achieve, Macmillan’s new online learning platform, supports educators and students throughout the full range of instruction, including assets suitable for pre-class preparation, in-class active learning, and post-class study and assessment. Featuring new digital resources to engage students and help them to master cell biology concepts, the pairing of a powerful new platform with outstanding biology content provides an unrivalled learning experience.
• A design guided by learning science research. Co-designed through extensive collaboration and testing by both students and faculty including two levels of Institutional Review Board approval for every study of Achieve
• A learning path of powerful content including pre-class, in-class, and post-class activities and assessments.
• A detailed gradebook with insights for just-in-time teaching and reporting on student achievement by learning objective.
• Easy integration and gradebook sync with iClicker classroom engagement solutions.
• Simple integration with your campus LMS and availability through Inclusive Access programs.
• New media and assessment features in Achieve include:
• New Smart Biology Animations provide cutting-edge 3D tools for students to help them understand cell biology at a structural level. Based on data from the World Wide Protein Databank, these animations provide students with highly accurate visualizations of structures and processes. Twenty six animations are included in Achieve and include associated assessments that can be assigned and automatically graded.
• Eight new In-class activities, along with revised classroom response questions provide support for an active and inclusive classroom.
• LearningCurve adaptive quizzes provide formative assessments to help students prepare before class.
• Case Studies and Analyze the Data Problems focus on real world applications.
• Chapter Concept Quizzes provide easy to assign and automatically graded assessments.
• Features of the text include:
• An approach grounded by emphasis of the experiments that define our understanding of cell biology, engaging students with the exciting breakthroughs that define the field's history and point to its future.
• Experimental Figures illustrate real experiments and show real data.
• Medical and Plant Biology Connections are woven throughout the chapters where appropriate to give students an appreciation for the clinical applications of the basic science they are learning.
• Key Concepts for each section provide a learning framework for students as they progress through each chapter.