1. Introduction, The Importance of Nucleic Acids in Diagnostics
2. Background and Analysis of Nucleic Acids
3. Primers and Probes
4. Basic Principles of Nucleic Acid Hybridisation
5. Principles of PCR
6. Quality Assurance, Management and Control in Molecular Diagnostics
7. Quantitative Isothermal Molecular Amplification Techniques
8. DNA Sequencing
10. The Ongoing Revolution of MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry for Molecular Diagnostics
11. Information in the Amplification Curve
The books Molecular Diagnostics Part 1 and 2 provide a comprehensive and practical overview of the state-of-the-art molecular biological diagnostic strategies that are being used in a wide variety of disciplines.
The editors and experts in their respective fields have combined their knowledge to write these two books. Many years of experience in the development, application and quality control of molecular diagnostic methods is reflected herewith.
Molecular Diagnostics Part 1 is dedicated to the theoretical backgrounds of the technologies often applied in molecular diagnostics, in which nucleic acid amplification methods (such as real-time PCR), sequencing and bioinformatics are the basic tools. The assay design and -development, combined with items of trouble-shooting are described in detail. As a foundation of reliable molecular diagnostic assays, the quality control required for validation, implementation and performance of molecular diagnostic assays is thoroughly discussed. This book also provides extensive information for those working with molecular techniques in a wide variety of research applications using conventional and real-time PCR technology, Sanger and high throughput sequencing techniques, and bioinformatics.
Molecular Diagnostics Part 2 highlights the applications of the molecular diagnostic methods in the various diagnostic laboratories, comprising:
- Clinical microbiology
- Clinical chemistry
- Clinical genetics
- Clinical pathology
- Molecular hematopathology
- Veterinary health
- Plant health
- Food safety
Both full-colour and well-illustrated books are particularly valuable for students, clinicians, scientists and other professionals who are interested in (designing) molecular diagnostic methods and for those who wish to broaden their knowledge on the current molecular biological revolution. The information in the books highlights the trend of the integration of multiple (clinical) disciplines into one universal molecular laboratory.
• Takes the reader from fundamentals into the backgrounds and the explanation of many techniques (from hybridisation and qPCR to next gen sequencing and bioinformatics)
• Unifies techniques that can be used not only in all fields of molecular diagnostics but that are also useful for many other types of laboratories; e.g. preclinical research, agrobotany, biology, ecology etcetera
• Is rich illustrated
• Describes validation and quality control; MIQE criteria and prophiency studies are integrated