This book describes in detail the multidisciplinary management of osteoporosis, providing readers with a thorough understanding of the rationale for a multidisciplinary approach and with the tools required to implement it effectively. The emphasis is on a translational approach, starting from basic concepts and fundamental mechanisms of the pathology and clinical morbidity. Experts in the field discuss the full range of relevant topics, including the significance of physical activity, nutritional strategies, and pharmacological treatment. Put another way, the book covers all aspects from the bench to the bedside. Physicians, scientists, and postgraduate students will all find it to be invaluable in understanding the causes and optimal management of osteoporosis, the incidence of which is increasing rapidly as populations age.
• Explains all aspects of the multidisciplinary management required for clinical care of patients with osteoporosis
• Provides a translational approach, “from the bench to the bedside”
• Written by experts in nutrition, endocrinology, andrology, orthopedics, and exercise and sports medicine
• Andrea Lenzi is Full Professor of Endocrinology in the Department of Experimental Medicine, University of Rome “Sapienza”, Rome, Italy. He is Director of the Unit of Andrology, Reproductive Physiopathology, and Endocrine Diagnosis and Coordinator of Laboratories of Endocrinology at the Policlinico Umberto I University Hospital, Rome, Italy. Dr. Lenzi is President of the Italian National University Council and Director of the Interuniversity Research Centre for Experimental Andrology (CASPER). He has served as Secretary General of the International Society for Immunology of Reproduction (1999-2004), the Alps-Adria Society for Immunology of Reproduction (1998-2001), and the Executive Council of the European Academy of Andrology (2002-2010). Dr. Lenzi has also been President of the Italian Society of Andrology and Medical Sexology (2008-2010). He is a member of the editorial boards of several international scientific journals and has published more than 220 original papers in the main international journals in the field.
• Silvia Migliaccio is Researcher in the Department of Movement, Human and Health Sciences, University of Rome “Foro Italico”, Rome, Italy. He is Coordinator of the Unit of Osteoporosis and Bone Metaboli Diseases t the Policlinico Umberto I University Hospital, Rome Italy. Dr. Migliaccio’s many previous positions have included Visiting Asoociate at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, North Carolina, USA. She has served as Member of the Executive Council of the Italian Society of Osteoporosis and Skeletal Diseases (SIOMMMS) and she is member of the Executive Council of the Italian Society of Nutrition (S.I.S.A.). She has published more than 100 original papers in the main international and national journals in the field of skeletal metabolism, nutrition and metabolic disorders.