Section 1: Neonatal
• Part 1: Fetal Development, Assessment, and Delivery
1. Fetal Lung Development
2. Fetal Gas Exchange and Circulation
3. Antenatal Assessment and High-Risk Delivery
4. Respiratory Care in Pregnancy
• Part 2: Assessment and Monitoring of the Neonate
5. Examination and Assessment
6. Radiographic Assessment of the Neonate
7. Invasive Blood Gas Analysis of the Neonate
8. Noninvasive Monitoring in Neonatal Care
• Part 3: Neonatal Disorders: Presentation Diagnosis and Treatment
9. Neonatal Pulmonary Disorders
10. Surgical Disorders in the Neonate That Affect Respiratory Care
11. Congenital Cardiac Defects
• Part 4: Respiratory Therapy Procedures for the Treatment of Neonatal Disorders
12. Surfactant Replacement Therapy
13. Noninvasive Mechanical Ventilation and Continuous Positive Pressure of the Neonate
14. Invasive Mechanical Ventilation of the Neonate
Section 2: Pediatric
• Part 1: Assessment and Monitoring of the Pediatric Patient
15. Examination and Assessment of the Pediatric Patient
16. Pulmonary Function Testing and Bedside Pulmonary Mechanics
17. Radiographic Assessment of the Child
18. Pediatric Flexible Bronchoscopy
19. Invasive Blood Gas Analysis and Cardiovascular Monitoring of the Child
20. Noninvasive Monitoring in Pediatric Care
• Part 2: Pediatric Disorders: Presentation, Diagnosis, and Treatment
21. Surgical Disorders in Childhood That Affect Respiratory Care
22. Pediatric Sleep-Disordered Breathing
23. Pediatric Airway Disorders and Parenchymal Lung Diseases
25. Cystic Fibrosis
26. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
28. Pediatric Trauma
29. Disorders of the Pleura
30. Neurologic and Neuromuscular Disorders
• Part 3: Mechanical Ventilation
31. Noninvasive Mechanical Ventilation of the Child
32. Invasive Mechanical Ventilation of the Child
Section 3: Neonatal and Pediatric
• Part 1: Respiratory Therapy Procedures for the Treatment of Neonatal and Pediatric Disorders
33. Oxygen Administration
34. Aerosols and Administration of Inhaled Medications
35. Airway Clearance Techniques and Hyperinflation Therapy
36. Airway Management
37. Administration of Gas Mixtures
38. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation
• Part 2: Thoracic Organ Transplant
40. Thoracic Organ Transplantation
• Part 3: Transport and Home Care of Neonatal and Pediatric Patients
41. Transport of Infants and Children
42. Home Care
Master the principles and skills of respiratory care for neonates, infants, and children! Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care, 6th Edition provides a solid foundation in the assessment and treatment of respiratory disorders in children. Clear, full-color coverage simplifies the concepts of respiratory care while emphasizing clinical application. Reflecting the changing face of this profession, this edition unpacks care strategies with coverage of the newest treatment algorithms, interventions, mechanical ventilation technologies, and more. From an expert team of contributors led by Brian K. Walsh, an experienced respiratory therapist and researcher, this text is an excellent study tool for the NBRC’s Neonatal/Pediatric Specialty examination.
• Authoritative, evidence-based content covers all of the major topics of respiratory care for neonates, infants, and children, including both theory and application, with an emphasis on an entry-level BS degree.
• Nearly 500 full-color illustrations - plus clear tables and graphs - make it easier to understand key concepts.
• Case studies include a brief patient history and questions for each, showing how concepts apply to the more difficult areas of care for neonatal and pediatric disorders.
• Complete test preparation is provided through coverage of all the content in the matrix for the 2020 NBRC neonatal/pediatric specialty (NPS) credentialing exam.
• Learning Objectives at the beginning of each chapter break down key content into measurable behaviors, criteria, and conditions.
• Key Points at the end of each chapter summarize the more important information in a bulleted format.
• Assessment Questions at the end of each chapter are written in the NBRC multiple-choice style as found on the Neonatal/Pediatric Specialty (NPS) exam, helping you become familiar with the NBRC testing format.
• Glossary makes it easy to find definitions of all of the book’s key terminology.
• Answers to assessment and case study questions are provided on the Evolve website.
New To This Edition:
• NEW! Logical, easy-to-use organization divides the content into three sections of 1) Neonatal, 2) Pediatrics, and 3) Neonatal and Pediatric combined, mirroring the academic approach of most respiratory care programs.
• NEW! Updated content reflects the new matrix for the 2020 NBRC Neonatal/Pediatric Specialty (NPS) exam.
• NEW! Assessment Questions at the end of each chapter are updated to reflect the changes to the 2020 NBRC exam.
• NEW! Additional treatment algorithms of care are added to relevant chapters.
Brian K. Walsh, PhD, RRT-NPS, RRT-ACCS, RPFT, FAARC, Director, Respiratory Therapy Program, Professor of Health Sciences, Liberty University