1 Clinical Periodontology and Implantology in the Era of Precision Medicine
2 Evidence-Based Decision Making
3 Critical Thinking: Assessing Evidence
4 Anatomy, Structure, and Function of the Periodontium
5 Classification of Diseases and Conditions Affecting the Periodontium
6 Fundamentals in the Methods of Periodontal Disease Epidemiology
7 Atlas of Periodontal Diseases
8 Periodontal Disease Pathogenesis
9 Precision Dentistry: Genetics and Epigenetics of Periodontitis
10 Biofilm and Periodontal Microbiology
11 Host-Microbe Interactions and the Inflammatory Response
12 Resolution of Inflammation
13 Aging and the Periodontium
14 Defense Mechanisms of the Gingiva
15 Dental Biofilm-Induced Gingivitis and Its Management
16 Select Systemic and Local Diseases That Affect the Gingiva
17 Acute Gingival Infections and Management
18 Desquamative Gingivitis
19 Gingival Enlargement and Management
20 Periodontal Health and Disease in Children and Adolescents
22 The Periodontal Pocket Formation and Patterns of Bone Loss
23 Risk Factors of Periodontal Disease (Smoking)
24 The Role of Dental Calculus and Other Local Predisposing Factors
25 Influence of Systemic Conditions on the Periodontium
26 Impact of Periodontal Infection on Systemic Health
27 Pathology and Management of Periodontal Problems Associated With Viral Infection, Including HIV, COVID, and Others
28 Periodontal Therapy in the Female Patient
29 Aging and Periodontal Health: A Long-Term Relationship
30 Acute Periodontal Infections and Management
31 Halitosis (Breath Malodor)
32 Periodontal Response to External Forces
33 Sleep-Related Breathing Disorders
34 Masticatory System Disorders That Influence the Periodontium
35 Role of Occlusion and TMD in Periodontal Disease Management
36 Levels of Clinical Significance
37 Electronic Dental Records and the Role of Health Information Technology in Dentistry
38 Periodontal Examination
39 Radiographic Aids in the Diagnosis of Periodontal Disease
40 Periodontal Risk Assessment
41 Determination of Prognosis
42 Periodontal Treatment Plan
43 Nonsurgical Phase of Periodontal Therapy
44 Clinical Practice Guideline for Treatment of Periodontitis
45 Restorative Interrelationships
46 Multidisciplinary Versus Interdisciplinary Approaches to Dental and Periodontal Problems
47 Periodontal Referral
48 Orthodontics in Periodontal Therapy
49 Endo-Perio Lesions
50 Plaque Biofilm Control for the Periodontal Patient
52 Sonic and Ultrasonic Instrumentation and Irrigation
53 Chemotherapy: Use of Systemic Antibiotics
54 Locally Delivered, Controlled-Release Antimicrobials
55 Host Modulation
56 Surgical Phase of Periodontal Therapy
57 Surgical Training and Technology
58 Sedation in Periodontics and Implant Surgery
59 Periodontal and Peri-Implant Surgical Anatomy
60 General Principles of Periodontal Surgery
61 Periodontal Surgical Therapy
62 Pocket Reduction Therapy—Resective Approach
63 Periodontal Regeneration
64 Lasers in Periodontal and Peri-Implant Therapy
65 Periodontal Plastic and Esthetic Surgery
66 Preparation of the Periodontium for Restorative Dentistry
67 Periodontal Treatment of Medically Complex Patients
68 Periodontal Microsurgery
69 Diagnosis and Management of Periodontal Abscesses
70 Supportive Periodontal Treatment
71 Results of Periodontal Treatment
72 Integrating Implants With Periodontal Therapy
73 Peri-Implant Anatomy, Biology, and Function
74 Clinical Evaluation of the Implant Patient
75 Diagnostic Imaging for the Implant Patient
76 Prosthetic Considerations: Partially Edentulous
77 Prosthetic Considerations: Fully Edentulous
78 Basic Implant Surgical Procedures
79 Advanced Implant Surgical Procedures: Horizontal and Vertical Augmentation
80 Advanced Implant Surgical Procedures: Maxillary Sinus Augmentation
81 Advanced Surgical Procedures: Simultaneous Implant Placement and Tissue Augmentation in the Esthetic Zone
82 Dental Implant Microsurgery: Immediate Placement
83 Piezoelectric Bone Surgery
84 Digitally Assisted Implant Placement Surgery
85 From Implant Placement to Provisional Restoration
86 Complications in Dental Implantology
87 Supportive Implant Treatment
88 Results of Implant Treatment
Learn and master a range of clinical techniques and achieve therapeutic goals with Newman and Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology and Implantology, 14th Edition! Unmatched for its comprehensive approach, this resource provides detailed, up-to-date information on the etiology and pathogenesis of periodontal disease. Basic and advanced evidence-based information on the various treatment modalities employed in periodontics and implantology is presented in an easy-to-read format, with callout boxes throughout the text highlighting the clinical relevance of foundational basic science information. Full-color photos and radiographic images depict periodontal conditions and procedures, and the Atlas of Periodontal Pathology is one of the most comprehensive ever compiled in a periodontal textbook. Written by a team of leading experts led by Michael G. Newman, this text not only demonstrates how to perform periodontal procedures but explains the evidence supporting each treatment and provides knowledge on how to achieve the best possible outcomes of periodontal therapy and implant treatment. An eBook version is included with print purchase, providing access to all the text, figures, and references, plus the ability to search, customize content, make notes and highlights, and have content read aloud. The eBook version included with print purchase also includes Periopixel 3D color illustrations, a periodontal classification calculator and interactive learning tool, review questions, case studies, videos, 3D animations, and more! This edition features new chapters on Precision Medicine, Pocket Reduction Therapy, Periodontal Referral, and Digital Implant Workflows, as well as an updated glossary of terms linked to the eBook. It also features first-of-its-kind content on the effects of COVID-19 on treatment from key opinion leaders in this area. Case studies reflect the new format of the Integrated National Board Dental Exam (INBDE).
• Full-color photos, illustrations, radiographs, animations, simulations, and videos demonstrate how to perform periodontal and implant procedures.
• Current information on clinical techniques in periodontology and the latest advances in basic science.
• Evidence-based treatment planning provides knowledge on how to achieve the best possible outcomes of periodontal therapy and implant treatment.
• Extensive color atlas of periodontal pathology
• Internationally known experts contribute chapters on their areas of specialty.
• An eBook version is included with print purchase, providing access to all the text, figures, and references, plus the ability to search, customize content, make notes and highlights, and have content read aloud.
New To This Edition:
• NEW! Chapters on Precision Medicine, Periodontal Referral, and Digital Implant Workflows provide comprehensive information for these key areas of implant dentistry.
• NEW! Pocket Reduction Therapy chapters discuss the use of lasers in pocket reduction therapy.
• NEW! Updated discussions cover the use of digital dentistry in periodontics and implant dentistry as well as new content on the effects of COVID-19 on treatment.
• NEW! Updated format reflects current learning principles, the integrated curriculum design used in most dental schools, and the format of the Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE).
• NEW! Periopixel 3D color illustrations are included in the text and eBook version included with print purchase, in addition to 3D animations, author videos, clinical videos, and more.
• NEW! Periodontal classification calculator and interactive learning tool is available in the eBook version included with print purchase.
• Michael G. Newman, DDS, FACD, Professor Emeritus, Section of Periodontics, School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, California.
• Perry R. Klokkevold, DDS, MS, Associate Professor, Section of Periodontics,Program Director, Postgraduate Periodontics Residency School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles.
• Satheesh Elangovan, BDS, DSc, DMSc, Professor, Department of Periodontics The University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics Iowa City, Iowa.
• Yvonne Kapila, DDS, PhD , Professor and Chair, Division of Periodontology,Department of Orofacial Sciences at UCSF. Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology Fellow, International College of Dentists