1. Swallowing Physiology Overview
2. Video-Endoscopy by Screenplays
4. Pharyngoesophageal Manometry
5. Dysphagia Rehabilitation
6. Interdisciplinary Communication Between Members of the Dysphagia Management Team: The JaGi-L Coding System
7. Dysphagia Surgeries
8. Drugs and Dysphagia
This book is a practical guide that will assist ENT doctors in interpreting swallowing videoendoscopies correctly and in choosing complementary instrumental examinations to consolidate or exclude their provisional diagnosis. In addition, it provides speech-language pathologists with valuable hints on how to treat patients with oropharyngeal dysphagia more efficiently. The book is constructed around videoendoscopic features. The relevance of these features to diagnosis and treatment is carefully described with the aid of numerous high-quality illustrations. Beyond this, the relationship of videoendoscopy to two further instrumental examinations – videofluorography and pharyngeal manometry– and to the three treatment paths of texture adaptation, rehabilitation, and surgery is explained. The use of pictograms in this context helps to elucidate the connections, creating in the reader’s mind “clusters of behaviors” of benefit in clinical practice. The book also includes a short summary on swallowing anatomy and physiology, a chapter on medications inducing dysphagia, key take-home messages, and suggestions for further reading.
• Offers ENTs and SLPs practical guidance on the management of dysphagia
• Constructed around videoendoscopy
• Uses pictograms to guide the reader to complementary investigations and appropriate treatment strategies
• Demystifies the management of dysphagia by providing a stepwise approach
Gauthier Desuter is Professor of ENT Head & Neck Surgery at Université Catholique de Louvain, and Director of the Voice and Swallowing Clinic of the Cliniques universitaires Saint-Luc linked to the same academic institution. After taking his medical degree and specialization at the University of Louvain, he took an eMBA at the Université Libre de Bruxelles and an MSc in Health Care Management and Policy at Harvard University. Member of several ENT scientific societies, he's member of the Scientific Committee of the European Laryngological Society. Professor Desuter has contributed to several books chapters on deglutology and he’s author of many publications in the field of laryngology, head & neck surgery.