• SECTION 1 Basic Principles and Concepts
1 The New Perspectives on the Face (contributed by M. MICHAEL COHEN JR.)
2 Pioneers and Milestones in the Field of Orthodontics and Orthognathic Surgery
3 Definition and Prevalence of Dentofacial Deformities
4 Hereditary, Developmental, and Environmental Influences on the Formation of Dentofacial Deformities
5 Orthodontic Considerations in the Evaluation and Treatment of Dentofacial Deformities
6 Periodontal Considerations in the Evaluation and Treatment of Dentofacial Deformities
7 Psychosocial Considerations in the Evaluation and Treatment of Dentofacial Deformities
8 Speech, Mastication, and Swallowing Considerations in the Evaluation and Treatment of Dentofacial Deformities
9 Temporomandibular Disorders: Effects of Occlusion, Orthodontic Treatment, and Orthognathic Surgery
10 Nasal Airway Considerations in the Evaluation and Treatment of Dentofacial Deformities
11 Anesthesia Techniques, Blood Loss/Fluid Replacement, Airway Management & Convalescence in the Treatment of Dentofacial Deformities
• SECTION 2 Planning, Surgical Technique, and Complications
12 Orthognathic Surgery Treatment Planning
13 Standard Analytic Model Planning for Orthognathic Surgery
14 Mandible-First Analytic Model Planning for Orthognathic Surgery
15 Sequencing of Orthognathic Procedures: Step-by-Step Approach
16 Complications Associated with Orthognathic Surgery
17 Malocclusion after Orthodontics and Orthognathic Surgery: Prevention and Treatment Pitfalls
18 Grafts Frequently Used During Orthognathic Surgery and for Adjunctive Procedures
19 Virtual Surgery Planning (NEW CHAPTER)
Capturing the latest thinking for the evaluation and treatment of dentofacial deformities, Principles and Practice of Orthognathic Surgery, covers the basic principles and concepts required to diagnose and correct dentofacial deformities along with planning, surgical techniques, surgical complications, classic patterns, and clinical presentations. Clinical photos, case studies, and detailed art make this a valuable reference for orthodontists, craniofacial surgeons, oral and maxillofacial surgeons, and residents in training.
• More than 8,000 photos and illustrations boost your understanding of key points and surgical techniques.
• Logically organized material aids your thinking prior to developing treatment plans and executing surgery.
• Current surgical protocols for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and Orthodontics put you at the forefront of the orthognathic surgery field.
New To This Edition:
• NEW! In-depth content revision and clear artwork are added to this edition.
• NEW! Virtual Surgical Planning chapter examines how VSP provides a useful tool for planning surgeries prior to entering the operating room.
• NEW! 45 videos depict step-by-step approaches to essential orthognathic procedures and techniques.
• NEW! Enhanced eBook version included with every new print purchase provides access to a complete, fully searchable version of the text, along with videos of procedures and much more!
• NEW! More case studies are included, each demonstrating long-term results.
• NEW! Up-to-date review and analysis of research literature is added.
Jeffrey C. Posnick, DMD, MD, FRCS(C), FACS, Professor Emeritus, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery & Pediatrics Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC Professor of Orthodontics University of Maryland, Baltimore College of Dental Surgery Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Howard University College of Dentistry, Washington, DC