Use the veterinarian’s #1 reference on general pathology and the pathology of organ systems! Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease, 7th Edition helps you understand and diagnose diseases of domestic animals by using the latest scientific and medical research. Focusing on dogs, cats horses, cattle, sheep, goats, and pigs, this reference describes and vividly illustrates and explores the pathogeneses of animal diseases, how cells and tissues respond to injury, and the morphology (lesions) of this injury. New to this edition is basic coverage of tumor, inflammatory, and microbial cytology. Edited by veterinary pathologist James F. Zachary and a team of expert veterinary pathologists, this book includes access to an enhanced eBook with every new print purchase, featuring a fully searchable version of the entire text, an image collection, and much more - and available on a variety of devices.
• Clear, up-to-date illustrations and explanations of the macroscopic (gross) and microscopic lesions resulting from diseases occurring in domestic animals
• Complete coverage of both general pathology and the pathology of organ systems that includes the latest research, practice, and diagnostic information on disease mechanisms, pathogenesis, and lesions.
• Clear explanations of disease mechanisms that describe cell, tissue, and organ system responses to injury and infection.
• Easy-to-follow organization for each systemic disease chapter including a brief review of the study of diseases that occur in specific tissues, organs, and organ systems, with basic principles related to anatomy, structure, and function, followed by congenital and functional abnormalities and discussions of infectious disease responses, helping students apply principles to veterinary practice.
• More than 2,100 full-color illustrations featuring color photographs, schematics, flow charts, and diagrammatic representations of disease processes as well as summary tables and boxes, making it easier to understand difficult concepts.
• Content on cellular and organ system pathology updated throughout the book, with expanded coverage of genetics and disease.
• Key Readings Index in each chapter with page numbers for key topics.
• Essential Concept boxes in each General Pathology chapter break down complicated topics that are critical to understanding lesions and pathogeneses.
• More than 20 recognized experts deliver the most relevant information for the practitioner, student, or individual preparing for the American College of Veterinary Pathologists’ board examination.
• An enhanced eBook is included with new print purchase, featuring the complete, fully searchable text plus an image collection; the text, tables, and boxes linked to the website that are cited throughout the book; ten new appendices that focus on veterinary diagnostic pathology, postmortem examination, interpretation of lesions, and more; plus an established appendix of photographic techniques used in veterinary diagnostic pathology.
New To This Edition:
• NEW! Coverage of the cytomorphology and histomorphology of tumors, inflammatory cells and exudates, and microbes commonly seen in the practice of veterinary medicine.
• NEW! Coverage of a procedure used to collect specimens for cytologic evaluation.
• NEW! Pathogenesis Pathways flowcharts designed to arrange each step of a disorder in chronologic, mechanistic order.
James F. Zachary, DVM, PhD, Diplomate, American Colllege of Veterinary Pathologists; Professor of Veterinary Pathology, Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL