1. Team Approach
2. Definition and Risk Factors of Bleeding
3. Relevance of Blood Loss and Economic Impact
4. Risk of Anemia
5. Therapy of Anemia
6. Antiplatelet Drug Management
7. Preoperative Management of Oral Anticoagulants
9. Platelet Function Monitoring
10. Coagulation Monitoring
11. Anticoagulation Management
13. Cardiopulmonary Bypass
14. Blood Conservation Strategies
15. Minimal Invasive Extracorporeal Circulation Systems
16. Volume Replacement
17. The Jehovah’s Witness
18. Treatment Algorithms for Bleeding
19. Treatment with Procoagulants
20. Transfusion Thresholds for Packed Red Blood Cells
21. Bleeding Management in the Intensive Care Unit
22. Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis
This book provides a multidisciplinary approach to the maintenance of hemostasis and minimisation of blood loss in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. All aspects of patient blood management are covered that may contribute to a reduction in perioperative bleeding and transfusion requirements in cardiac surgery. This is achieved through practical cases and a theoretical background that gives a better understanding of patient hemostasis and the occurrence of bleeding complications.
This book is relevant to cardiac surgeons, anesthesiologists, clinical perfusionists, hematologists and intensivists.
• Enables the identification of patients at high risk of bleeding during cardiac surgery
• Covers preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative treatment
• Discusses all aspects of patient blood management
• Christian von Heymann is a Professor of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine appointed at the Charité - Medical Faculty of the Humboldt-University of Berlin and is head of the Department of Anesthesia, Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine and Pain Therapy at the Vivantes Klinikum im Friedrichshain, a large tertiary care and teaching hospital, in the center of Berlin, Germany. His main research interests are preoperative anemia, clotting and bleeding disorders in cardiac, general surgery and intensive care medicine. Dr. von Heymann has co-authored the EACTA/EACTS guideline on Patient Blood Management in Cardiac Surgery as well as the German guidelines on Preoperative Anemia and the Diagnostics and Treatment of Peripartum Hemorrhage. He is a member of several committees on Transfusion and Blood Conservation at the German Medical Chamber, the EACTA subcommittee of Hemostasis and Transfusion, and currently chairs the Transfusion, Hemostasis and Thrombosis subcommittee of the ESA.
• Christa Boer is Professor of Anesthesiology, Research in Perioperative Care, in Amsterdam UMC (VU University) and Director of the VUmc School of Medical Sciences. She is member of the editorial board of the British Journal of Anaesthesia. Her translational research focuses on the interplay between microcirculatory perfusion, endothelial activation and coagulation during cardiopulmonary bypass and hemorrhagic shock and on postoperative care. She is member of the subcommittee Transfusion, Hemostasis and Thrombosis of the ESA, and past chair of the subcommittee Hemostasis and Transfusion of EACTA. Dr. Boer co-chaired the recently published EACTS-EACTA guideline Patient Blood Management in Cardiac Surgery. In addition, she was member of the SCA Blood Conservation workgroup and NATA scientific committee.