• Part I. Pediatric Sedation Outside the Operating Room
1. The History of Sedation
2. Sedation Policies, Recommendations and Guidelines Across the Specialties and Continents
3. Procedural Sedation: Let's Review the Basics
4. The Pre-Sedation Assessment and Implications on Management
5. Sedation Scales and Discharge Criteria: How Do They Differ? Which One to Choose? Do They Really Apply to Sedation?
6. Physiological Monitoring for Procedural Sedation: The Routine and Beyond
7. The Pediatric Airway: Anatomy, Challenges and Solutions
8. Pediatric Physiology:How Does It Differ from Adults?
9. The Pharmacology and Clinical Application of Sedatives, Analgesics, and Adjuncts
10. Sedatives: Effects on Memory and Amnesia
11. Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics in the Pediatric Population
12. Billing and Reimbursement for Sedation Services in the United States
• Part II. Sedation Models Delivered by Different Specialties: A Global Voyage
13. The Pediatric Hospital Medicine Service: Models, Protocols and Challenges
14. The Anesthesia Directed Sedation Service: Models, Protocols and Challenges
15. Sedation in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit: International Practice
16. Sedation in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit: Challenges, Outcomes and Future Strategies in the United States
17. Sedation in the PediatricIntensive Care Unit: Current Practice in Europe
18. Sedation for Pediatric Gastrointestinal Procedures
19. Sedation in the Emergency Department: A Complex and Multifactorial Challenge
20. Sedation of Pediatric Patients for Dental Procedures: The United States, European and South American Experience
21. Pediatric Sedation: The European Experience and Approach
22. Pediatric Sedation: The South American Approach
23. Pediatric Sedation: The Asian Approach – Current State of Sedation in China
24. Pediatric Sedation: The South Pacific Approach
25. Pediatric Sedation in the Underdeveloped Third World – An African Perspective: Models, Protocols and Challenges
• Part III. Safety in Sedation
26. Pediatric Sedatives and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA): Challenges, Limitations and Drugs in Development
27. Is there Evidence for Long-term Neurocognitive Effects of Sedatives?
28.Incidence and Stratification of Adverse Events Associated with Sedation: Is there a Benchmark?
29. Medicolegal Risks and Outcomes of Sedation
30. Improving the Safety of Pediatric Sedation – Human Error, Technology and Clinical Microsystems
• Part IV. Sedation into the 22nd Century
31. Intravenous Infusions for Sedation: Rationale, State of the Art and Future Trends
32. Usage of Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Pediatric Sedation
33. Pediatric Research: Designing, Implementing, and Interpreting Strong Trials
34. Non-pharmacological Distraction Techniques as Sedation Adjunct
35. The Role of Simulation in Safety and Training
36. Michael Jackson: Medical Ethics and What Went Wrong
37. Ethics and Clinical Aspects of Palliative Sedation in the Terminally Ill Child
38. Future of Pediatric Sedation.
This book functions as an essential guide to the safe and effective sedation of pediatric patients outside the operating room. It is a multidisciplinary reference that features an international authorship and is also of use for a broad range of specialists who deliver pediatric sedation in the non-OR setting.
Organized into four parts, Pediatric Sedation Outside of the Operating Room 3rd edition, begins with the foundational history of the pediatric sedation field. Subsequent chapters explore the basics of procedural sedation, pre-sedation assessments, and sedation policies across various specialties and continents. Part two then examines a multitude of sedation models divided by geographical location and subspecialty. Following this, Part three delves into standards of safety in sedation, including medicolegal risk factors, neurocognitive side effects, and aspiration risks. The book closes with chapters presenting discussions on the future of sedation, insofar as predictions for the role of simulation, medical malpractice, and the intersection of sedation and marijuana.
An updated invaluable successor edition, Pediatric Sedation Outside of the Operating Room 3rd edition is accessible to a diverse group of sedation providers from all specialties. This textbook is an invaluable and necessary addition to all sedation providers worldwide.
• Maintains status as a premier globally acclaimed book on pediatric sedation, featuring national and internationally recognized authors
• Updated chapter and new chapters with timely and relevant topics
• Edited by renowned internationally recognized leader in pediatric sedation
• Features high quality images and tables that aid in visual learning