NEWMAN, M.; FLEISHER, L.; KO, C.; MYTHEN, M.
PART I: INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
01. Implications of Perioperative Morbidity on Long-Term Outcomes,
02. Ischemia and Ischemia-Reperfusion-Induced Organ Injury (Pathology),
03. The Inflammatory Response in Organ Injury
04. The Coagulation Cascade in Perioperative Organ Injury,
06. Fluid Management
PART II: PREOPERATIVE ASSESSMENT
07. The Value of Preoperative Assessment.
08. Cardiac Risk Assessment in Noncardiac Surgery.
09. Cardiovascular Risk Assessment in Cardiac Surgery.
10. Central Nervous System Risk Assessment.
11. Renal Risk Assessment, Christina Mora-Mangano.
12. Pulmonary Risk Assessment.
13. Hematologic Risk Assessment.
PART III: PRESERVATION OF ORGAN FUNCTION AND PREVENTION AND MANAGEMENT OF PERIOPERATIVE ORGAN DYSFUNCTION
• CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM
14. Prevention of Ischemic Injury in Cardiac Surgery.
15. Prevention of Ischemic Injury in Noncardiac Surgery.
16. Treatment of Perioperative Ischemia, Infarction, and Ventricular Failure in Cardiac Surgery.
17. Perioperative Management of Valvular Heart Disease.
18. Prevention and Management of Perioperative Dysrhythmias.
• RENAL SYSTEM
19. Preservation of Renal Function.
20. Treatment of Acute Oliguria.
21. Perioperative Management of the Patient with Renal Failure.
• PULMONARY SYSTEM
22. Prevention and Treatment of Pulmonary Dysfunction.
• CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM
23. Carotid and Intracranial Surgery.
24. Protecting the Central Nervous System during Surgery.
25. Preservation of Spinal Cord Function.
26. Perioperative Management of Acute Central Nervous System Injury.
• GASTROINTESTINAL SYSTEM
27. Prevention and Treatment of Gastrointestinal Morbidity.
• HEMATOLOGY AND COAGULATION
28. Prevention and Management of Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism.
29. Perioperative Management of Bleeding and Transfusion.
30. Prevention of Perioperative and Surgical Site Infection.
31. Perioperative Protection of the Pregnant Woman.
32. Preservation of Fetal Viability in Noncardiac Surgery.
PART IV: EARLY POSTOPERATIVE CARE
• SPECIFIC OPERATIONS
33. Cardiac Surgery.
34. General Thoracic Surgery.
35. Major Abdominal Surgery.
36. Major Orthopaedic Surgery.
37. Solid Organ Transplantation.
38. Multisystem Trauma.
• SPECIFIC PROBLEMS
40. Sepsis and Septic Shock.
41. Acute Respiratory Failure.
42. Endocrine and Electrolyte Disorders.
43. Pain, Delirium, and Anxiety.
PART V: CONFLICTING OUTCOMES
44. Economic Analysis of Perioperative Optimization.
45. Pay for Performance: An Incentive for Better Outcomes.
• NEW PALLIATIVE CARE IN THE ICU
• NEW PALLIATIVE CARE AT THE END OF LIFE
Based on the most current evidence and best practices, Perioperative Medicine: Managing for Outcome, 2nd Edition, is an easy-to-follow, authoritative guide to achieving optimal outcomes in perioperative care. Written and edited by recognized authorities in anesthesiology and surgical critical care, this fully updated edition helps you think critically about complex, long-term issues surrounding the care of the surgical patient, providing decision trees that define strategies to enhance the medical outcome of care.
• Mark F. Newman, MD, Merael H. Harmel Professor and Chairman, Department of Anesthesiology; Professor of Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine; Medical Director, Global Perioperative Research Organization (GPRO), Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC.
• Lee A Fleisher, MD, FACC, Robert Dunning Dripps Professor and Chair of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Professor of Medicine, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
• Clifford Ko, MD, MS, MSHA, FACS, Professor, Department of Surgery, Director, UCLA Center for Surgical Outcomes and Quality, Los Angeles, California.
• Michael (Monty) Mythen, MBBS FRCA MD, Smiths Medical Professor of Anaesthesia and Critical Care, University College London, London, UK