1. Introduction and History of Postoperative Care for Adult Cardiac Surgical Patients
2. Risk and Outcome Assessments
3. Cardiac Physiology
4. Cardiovascular Pharmacology in Adult Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgery
5. Cardiovascular Monitoring in Postoperative Care of Adult Cardiac Surgical Patients
6. Postoperative Central Nervous System Monitoring in Adult Cardiac Surgery
7. Postoperative Coagulation and Bleeding: Monitoring and Hematologic Management After Adult Cardiac Surgery
8. Cardiovascular Complications and Management After Adult Cardiac Surgery
9. Gastrointestinal Complications and Their Management After Adult Cardiac Surgery
10. Renal Complications and Their Management After Adult Cardiac Surgery
11. Respiratory Complications and Management After Adult Cardiac Surgery
12. Central Nervous System Care in Postoperative Adult Cardiac Surgery
13. Infectious Diseases and Management After Cardiac Surgery
14. Postoperative Rhythm Disorders After Adult Cardiac Surgery
15. Fluid Management and Electrolyte Balance
16. Acid-Base Balance and Blood Gas Analysis
17. Postoperative Pain Management in Adult Cardiac Surgery
18. Postoperative Considerations of Cardiopulmonary Bypass in Adult Cardiac Surgery
19. Postoperative Care of Adult Cardiac Transplant Patients
20. Postoperative Care of ECMO/Mechanical Circulatory Support
21. Postoperative Safety in Adult Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit
22. Nutrition Support in Postoperative Cardiac of Adult Cardiac Surgery Patients
This text reviews the postoperative management of patients who have undergone cardiac surgical procedures, some of the most common and most complicated forms of surgery. These patients and their management are characterized by complex challenges, while among the factors determining ultimate clinical outcome, postoperative critical care is of major importance.
This new and extensively updated edition of Postoperative Critical Care for Cardiac Surgical Patientsmaintains the general clinical approach in explaining and analyzing the course of clinical care in patients undergoing cardiac surgery, providing the reader with a practical "cookbook" of postoperative intensive care in adult cardiac patients. It has been extensively updated to include the developments in this field during the last few years, from new chapters on postoperative management of renal, gastrointestinal and respiratory systems, postoperative management of infectious and inflammatory complications, and postoperative care of transplant patients and postoperative safety. This book is of critical importance for cardiac surgeons, cardiac anesthesiologists and intensivists, and defines optimal daily practice for adult patients undergoing cardiac surgical procedures.
• Informative "cookbook” of cardiac intensive care
• Addresses the critical care of patients by means of an organ-oriented approach
• Examines preoperative issues and the intraoperative course of cardiac surgery
• Ali Dabbagh, MD is a Director of the Cardiac Anesthesiology Fellowship Program at the Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
• Fardad Esmailian is a thoracic and cardiac surgeon in Los Angeles, California and is affiliated with Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. He received his medical degree from George Washington University School of Medicine and has been in practice for more than 20 years.
• Sary Aranki is a thoracic and cardiac surgeon in Boston, Massachusetts and is affiliated with multiple hospitals in the area, including Brigham and Women's Hospital and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. He received his medical degree from University of Baghdad College of Medicine and has been in practice for more than 20 years.