• Fundamentals of lasers and light devices in dermatology
• Vascular lasers
• Pigment Specific lasers and light devices
• Ablative lasers
• Body sculpting including laser liposuction, ultrasound, cool sculpting
• Light emitting diodes and low level laser light therapy
• Lasers in pigmented skin
• Recent advances in cutaneous laser therapy and future trends.
This title introduces readers to the use of lasers in dermatology/aesthetic practice and focuses on the fundamentals of lasers and light-based devices and their clinical application. Each chapter addresses the use of lasers in the treatment of a variety of skin conditions, detailing mechanisms of action, pre-treatment preparation, post-treatment advice, follow-up, and potential complications and pitfalls. Besides discussing ablative, vascular, pigment-specific and epilation lasers, and intense pulsed light, the book also reviews the use of light-emitting diodes, low-level laser therapy and radio frequency devices. In addition, cosmeceuticals complementing laser treatments are also discussed. Readers will also find the chapter on self-assessment questionnaires especially useful.Practical Introduction to Laser Dermatologyprovides detailed explanation of the topics, while the chapters are supported by illustrative case studies that will enable readers to develop a deeper understanding of the subject of lasers in dermatology. Using clinically relevant Illustrations, it provides a comprehensive resource on a variety of laser technologies for novice readers and trained laser clinicians.
• Provides videos and illustrations on how to use light emitting diode therapy and low-level laser light therapy
• Describes the indications and identifies potential complications and pitfalls when using lasers devices in the dermatology clinic
• Includes numerous clinically relevant case studies on how to perform procedures involving body sculpting and pigment specific treatment strategies
Dr Vishal Madan, MBBS (Hons), MD, FRCP is a Consultant dermatologist, Laser and Dermatological surgeon at the Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust and Honorary Senior Lecturer at University of Manchester. After completing the Addenbrooke's Cambridge medical rotation in 2004, he undertook his specialist training in Dermatology in Manchester. He did two fellowships- one in Laser Dermatology at the Salford Royal NHS Foundation trust and another in Mohs micrographic (Skin cancer) and reconstructive skin surgery at the Welsh Institute of Dermatology, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff. Dr Madan has published in excess of 110 scientific articles, authored 10 book chapters and edited a book on speciality examination in Dermatology and another on skin cancer. He has been an invited reviewer for 11 international journals. He is the president of the British Medical Laser Association.